Fire steel and....stone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Jeff Wagner said:
So you've gone out to play with your new fire steel and discovered that you neglected to bring the metal scraper thing along. Now what...?

Try it with a sharp piece of stone or broken glass.... ;)

Why not use the back of your knife? :)

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Anyone who knows me could tell you that the likelyhood of me being without a knife is about as likely as me not having any clothes on, but....
I've tried various things that I may well have even if I were without a knife to use on my firesteel and have found the following...

Speed cleats on my boots.......No Good, probably not hard enough.
Tag on my fly zipper.........No good, again, probably not hard enough.
Belt buckle..... Only one out of half a dozen worked and then very poorly.
British coinage.... 50p piece worked best but only poorly. Most coins either too soft or too small to get a good grip on. This might be why the 50p worked best of the lot as it's the biggest.
House key......No good, too soft.

All in all, I guess that without the striker or a knife I'd be looking for flints or similar things to get a spark with. Maybe thats why I keep the striker tied to the firesteel with a piece of kevlar kite line ?

A mate stated that a "real man" would use his teeth :D , but declined to show me how for some strange reason.... :confused:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Jeff Wagner said:
:aargh4:

....a knife...yes, of course. Except that I was attempting to illustrate that a metal scraper is not required to make use of the firesteel. :rolleyes: .

Oops, misunderstood your post :tapedshut :buttkick: :sad6: :sulkoff: :sulkoff: :sulkoff:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I have an old lock-knife, almost as old as my "sheathy". It's purpose in life is to peel potatoes and strike my steel :swordfigh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE