Fire help!

Jun 19, 2012
wakefield
So i tried to light a fire for a forge in my bbq with a mixture if coke/charcoal and lit it using some wood/newspaper and some lighter fluid but it didnt light? the paper just burned then it started smoking and then it went out

what would be the best way to light it?

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Use a blow torch, not very PC not very bushcraft, ce n'est pas elegant mais ca marche :)

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Three layers of newspaper folded into the middle and scrunched into a ball is a good start. Add wood, then charcoal and finally coke once the fire is producing enough heat to burn the latter. Add air from your blower only when the fire is capable of sustaining itself naturally, otherwise you'll probably exhaust whatever fuel is burning at the centre of the fire before the surrounding material gets chance to burn. I've seen smiths light the fire with a gas poker, which is novel and quite fast, but when starting out I'd advocate learning the hard way. It takes a few attempts, as it did with me when I first used coke, but you will get the hang of it soon enough. My advice is to spend an hour or so chopping small (6-8") kindling of varying thicknesses so that you have enough fuel to start with and don't get caught short.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Three layers of newspaper folded into the middle and scrunched into a ball is a good start. Add wood, then charcoal and finally coke once the fire is producing enough heat to burn the latter. Add air from your blower only when the fire is capable of sustaining itself naturally, otherwise you'll probably exhaust whatever fuel is burning at the centre of the fire before the surrounding material gets chance to burn. I've seen smiths light the fire with a gas poker, which is novel and quite fast, but when starting out I'd advocate learning the hard way. It takes a few attempts, as it did with me when I first used coke, but you will get the hang of it soon enough. My advice is to spend an hour or so chopping small (6-8") kindling of varying thicknesses so that you have enough fuel to start with and don't get caught short.

Reminds me of the old days setting a good old fashioned coal fire. A pig to light but once you had got it going and if the coalhouse was full you could keep it going forever. Good old fashioned pre smokeless house coal, who would put up with it today?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE