Finnish firewood competition 1940's good axe work

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice video... the guy 5 minutes in had a pretty wild axe technique. I was half expecting to see it buried in his shin at one point :yikes:

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I found it interesting how small the axes and cross cuts were that they used much smaller than in the UK forest industry at the same time. Using same axes for felling, snedding and splitting too.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Although they all had shoulders like oxen, they weren't quite as huge as I'd have expected given the speed they were going through those logs. In some cases you'd have been hard pressed to keep up with a chainsaw.

I guess size is not a good measure of sheer power.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Although they all had shoulders like oxen, they weren't quite as huge as I'd have expected given the speed they were going through those logs. In some cases you'd have been hard pressed to keep up with a chainsaw.

I guess size is not a good measure of sheer power.
This is an interesting thing, however hard and fast I work I never get those huge muscles that folk do working out in gyms, big muscles make for slow power rather than fast movement maybe?
i suspect those axe heads were edging on the 6/7 lb mark given the shortness of the handles. more wallop for your swing :)
Finnish axes are quite a unique design and come in a range of sizes these don't look anywhere near that heavy to me though I could be wrong.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great film Robin.
There's few things more tiring than felling, snedding and converting all day for for several weeks, and that's with a chainsaw. Those guys look fit as fiddles and the accuracy of those powerful axe blows was spot on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE