Finding Flint - Fallen Trees ?

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Hi,

I was wandering the local woods the other day and noticed a few fallen Scots Pines, I recall reading that you can often find flint in the uprooted material around the tree, is this the case? Or is it only certain areas and types of trees ?

Im not sure what exactly i would be looking for, think ill take the dog out now and investigate further.

Stoo.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
:-\

Well the flint isn't formed by the tree if thats what you mean.

If the tree is growing on chalky ground then sure if a tree comes down then there is going to be a possibility that some flint will be pulled up with it. But the type of tree etc is irrelevant, its the soil type that is important.

Good luck.

A.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You'll not find flint anywhere in Scotland, apart from Boddam in Aberdeenshire or sea washed Antrim pebbles on the West Coast, unless someone took it there. However, you will find good chert, and that's good for most flint uses.

Grooveski did a brilliant long post a while back discussing the 'good' tool making stones in Scotland.
I'll see if I can find it.

cheers,
Toddy

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Yeh i kinda thought as much, googling when back mentions some flint up near peterhead but more or less desolate everywhere else.

That be handy if you find the link, ill trawl the threads to.

Stoo.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Let us know how it goes.:)

I kind of visit these places the way geocachers find their geocache caches. Any time I go for a wander it's usually because of a rock that I've heard about.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh, incidentally Fred Gordon kindly met me with a load of Serpentinite from up his way and it's lovely stuff :D Cuts with a pocket knife or a cheap saw and polishes up like marble with one of those sand paper coated sponges.
I'm going up to the Crannog for their Go Native event soon, if you can get there, I'll take some along to share.

atb,
M

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
....the Crannog for their Go Native event

Bah, I'll be in Cumbria that weekend.:(
Have a good 'un.

[Edit - Date mix up: Loch Fyne that weekend - Cumbria the next.
Hmmm, maybe, If there's too much wind for Loch Fyne I may see you there.]

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Hi,

I was wandering the local woods the other day and noticed a few fallen Scots Pines, I recall reading that you can often find flint in the uprooted material around the tree, is this the case? Or is it only certain areas and types of trees ?

Im not sure what exactly i would be looking for, think ill take the dog out now and investigate further.

Stoo.

I had a feeling this thread may have been started by you :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE