finaly got my first canoe

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
finaly got my canoe
Well i finally got my first canoe , its a seadoo inflatable and got it seconed hand from someone i know for £150, it has a slow puncture in the botton i didnt know about but after trying to fix it with a bike puncture repair kit its not working so ive been told i need a plastic repair kit , is this correct?

ive been in it with the kids while camping and me and the kids love it although we only went on the canal, i deffo have the bug lol
I dont know where to go , is there any canoeing hotspots around the northwest? can i just go anywere ?

here is me testing the water
IMG00150-20110601-1202.jpg

IMG00152-20110601-1251.jpg

IMG00154-20110601-1251.jpg

the kids leading the way
IMG00161-20110602-1607.jpg

IMG00155-20110601-1619.jpg

IMG00157-20110601-1944.jpg

IMG00158-20110601-1949.jpg

IMG00163-20110603-2046.jpg

And this is just simply stunning, sun set on the way back.
IMG00165-20110603-2114.jpg

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Brilliant photo at the end there mate, your kids looked really happy and so did you. Canoes are great fun and take you to some peaceful spots away from the crowds. Check out the "where to paddle section" on songofthepaddle mate for good spots local to yourself. Had my own canoe for a year and half now and totally love it, one of my best buys ive made for a long time.

I hope you keep enjoying it and your kids will be happier for doing things with their dad like youve done this weekend.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got recommended Tear Aid when I got a puncture in mine. It seemed to hold well enough as every time i repaired it the hole managed to reappear further down the seam. Mine was terminal though so it had to go in the bin

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
I don't want to rain on your parade or nuffink
But kid's plus cold water is a big no-no
When you fall into cold water the body will automatically gasp, if your face is under water at the time then you'll get a lung full of water, for adult's it's bad enough' but with kid's it can prove deadly.
I would highly recommend buoyancy aid's to ALL who muck about on the water.
I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud, getting out with your kid's is the greatest thing a dad can do (I have 5 kid's & 3 grandkid's) I just want you & your kid's to be safe & live long enough to remember what a great dad you are

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
yes i am waiting for our jackets, thats why i only went on the canal.you are right i know,and next time out we will all have them.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
finaly got my canoe ... its a seadoo inflatable ... it has a slow puncture in the botton i didnt know about but after trying to fix it with a bike puncture repair kit its not working so ive been told i need a plastic repair kit , is this correct?

I'd get in touch with the manufacturer, or if you get no joy with them to a dealer who sells them. They will probably have their own repair kits. Definitely not a bike repair kit.

ive been in it with the kids while camping and me and the kids love it although we only went on the canal

Monkey spanner is right about the flotation aids. You can still die in the canal. In a canoe on the canal I'd be happy with just a buoyancy aid for myself but I'd go for full lifejackets for the kids. Full lifejacket for me too in rivers or on the sea. Don't get an automatic inflating one, you can get pretty wet with splashes in a canoe and it will just go off at the wrong time. My mate's went off while he was eating his porridge. That was very funny, but very messy. :)

... is there any canoeing hotspots around the northwest? can i just go anywere ?

I don't know anything about the hot spots, there are plenty of people here who will. There are forums especially for what you're doing, probably best to register on one such as Song of the paddle. I think you'll need to talk to the British Waterways Board about a licence.

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
puncture fixed and had a trip to decathelon and got us all life jackets. i cant get enough of this newly found hobby, soooo relaxing and breath taking views.

I can see myself getting a proper open canoe very soon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE