FGYT nessmuk mini review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mclark

Forager
Dec 29, 2009
sitting under a tree
i mangaged to get hold of one of FGYT's nessmuks a few months ago in a trade , im not sure about everyone else but when i get a new knife i get worrid about how it will stand up to my expectations in the field but with this one i was both surprised and very happy
it has a 5 inch cutting edge with black micarta handles
P1010010.jpg

the knife is very well made . it is also very easy to sharpen and hold edge for a long time .

P1010017.jpg

the back of the spine is very square so its perfect for use with a fire steel and i managed to get a fire going on the second strike

when it came to batoning it went through the green wood like a dream (sorry im not sure what tree this came from )

P1010016.jpg

i also batoned through some very seasoned cherry without even a nick or scratch on the blade
this is a very fair sized knife as compaired to my opinal no10
P1010021.jpg

as i was only out for the day i didnt get a chance to get many pics but with just this knife i also managed to build an improvised shelter , in my own opinion this is a great knife and now my main user and i hope to test some more of duncans knives soon , if anyone else is interested in testing this knife i might concider doing a pass around , pm me for details
thanks for reading my mini review

MCLARK

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
How does it feel considering the blade is one big curve? I like the blade shape but wonder how practical it would be for me as I'm not a hunter and have no need for a blade designed for game prep or skinning. Is there good heft to the knife? How is it as a chopper - does it make a good camp knife?

mclark

Forager
Dec 29, 2009
sitting under a tree
How does it feel considering the blade is one big curve? I like the blade shape but wonder how practical it would be for me as I'm not a hunter and have no need for a blade designed for game prep or skinning. Is there good heft to the knife? How is it as a chopper - does it make a good camp knife?

im planning on doing a pass arond mate is you would like to try it for a week and see how it feels

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
Some great pics and text!!!

I won his 2000 post thread and i choose the Nessmuk also. Great Guy!!
I cant wait till it arrives. What kinda sheet do you got with it?

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Nessmuk style knifes work really well. The curve bites in to wood when carving making it easier. I find the thick 'belly' really good when you choke up on handle for fine control too. My fav style of knife by far. Don't really understand the woodlore clone thing, just not got on with them!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have handled a number of FGYTs blades. They are a very good fit and finish. I also have a very, very good Nessmuk (made by jojo). Its an extremely capable woods knife. Very capable on game, wood and food prep.

A woodlore or puukko style is slightly easier in the fine carving than a Nessie, but the Nessie excels at feather sticks, peg making etc.

Frankly, both work well with slightly different bias. Its mostly down to skill

Red

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Short of driving the thread off on a tangent,

Do you prefer a scandi or convex ground nessmuk? And of what blade thickness do they tend to be? (inc the FGYT one above)

mclark

Forager
Dec 29, 2009
sitting under a tree
Short of driving the thread off on a tangent,

Do you prefer a scandi or convex ground nessmuk? And of what blade thickness do they tend to be? (inc the FGYT one above)

this one is a 3mm scandi mate , since i got this i havnt used my woodie because as british red said the nessie works well as an all around knife where as when i use my woodie i have to take another general purpose knife aswell

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Now that is a tasty trio!!! Especially the double bit hatchet, really nice

Like the anti-grav appearance of pic, kinda looks like stuck on a tree....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE