ferro rods

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi
Does anyone have any info on where I can resource some thick ferro rods from please, I am looking for the thicker type and good quality value for money.
Kind Regards
Bill

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Worth bearing in mind that the hardness (in this case alloy mix) varies greatly. Some of the softer steels throw sparking globs of molten metal that gets a fire going quick, but the harder ones literally just spark. The harder ones are much more hard wearing, but your lint, cotton wool etc will be needed. Softer ones will easily light wood shavings first scrape.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Worth bearing in mind that the hardness (in this case alloy mix) varies greatly. Some of the softer steels throw sparking globs of molten metal that gets a fire going quick, but the harder ones literally just spark. The harder ones are much more hard wearing, but your lint, cotton wool etc will be needed. Softer ones will easily light wood shavings first scrape.

That is very true! I found that the LMF ones are quite soft compared to cheap import ones, I got a free one with my Timberwolf knife that matches the handle and it seems to have the right balance, not sure where the blank comes from though?

I just buy dirt heap ones and rip the cheaply handles of and replace them with something nicer :)

Good luck with your search billy :).

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That is very true! I found that the LMF ones are quite soft compared to cheap import ones, I got a free one with my Timberwolf knife that matches the handle and it seems to have the right balance

I rate the LMF ones very highly, excellent fire steels. Not what the the OP is after, but the alloy mix is just right. For the use a firesteel is going to get, it'll last ages. Look for Misch, it's a soft alloy that chucks out, for want of a better description, big glowing balls :D

Good vid here:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O78JSZORwGg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DO78JSZORwGg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE