Felis silvestris grampia, the end is neigh?

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Things have not looked good for the Scottish Wildcat for sometime but this report is very worrying............http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-19569538

Incredible animals, I've seen a wild one only once, about 9 years ago and I was absolutely thrilled. Apart from the Highland Wildlife Park or any other park that does have captive ones, the chances of you or me ever seeing one that's not a hybrid in the wild must now be about zero.

Luckily, I'm reminded daily of these animals as we rescued a 4 week old kitten about 20 months ago. Found surrounded by sheep on his own, we have since been informed that he is part wild cat, we did have our suspicions. He can be a very affectionate but noisy boy, very, very vocal. As Stuey of this parish is testament to, look out if you want him to do something or go somewhere he doesn't want!

If you want more info on the UK's very own 'tiger' see here..............http://www.scottishwildcats.co.uk/

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Very sad indeed. They are so rare that they have always seemed almost myth-like to me. Some more magic will leave the world if they die out.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think it's just a case of habitat loss, unneutered pet cats and probably some unscrupulous keepers.

I've heard about boxes being littered about for catching wildcats, on stream crossings etc, I think that was folk trying to protect grouse.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I always wondered why one of the wildlife organisations SNH,SWT whoever never introduced some breading pairs to two or three “domestic cat free” larger forested islands of Scotland so we would always have a pure line, breeding stock in the event of this, after all this interbreeding problem has been known about for years.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE