False Tinder Fungus (fomes fometarius), tutorial.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 3, 2008
Eindhoven, NL

largefungus.jpg
largestfungus.jpg

Hi amadou fans everywhere!

Like many of you, I've had a go at making amadou, after seeing RM (pbuh) using some on TV. I've wrestled with the fungus shell, skinned my knuckles, blunted my knives, all to get hold of a layer of fungus trama; soaked it for various lengths of time in various iffy solutions, cursed it, pounded it, and watched it dry, just to get a piece of this wondrous material.

But, rewind! What do we want it for? Well, speaking for myself, I don't plan to make riding hats or dry fishing lures, my only reason for wanting amadou is to catch a spark, even a weak one. It's a lot of work, with mixed results. Is it worth the trouble?

I think I've read all that the site has to offer on amadou, unless I missed something somewhere; PatrickM did an excellent tutorial, hats off to him, but as a couple of other posters pointed out in reply, (Marts and jason01), there's no real need, if it's tinder that you want.

Here's a photo of the beast in question:

2.jpg

1. The shell. A bugger to seperate from the trama layer, but pierces easily enough, using a knife or wood-chisel.
2. The trama layer. The business part. Smoulders nicely and smells nice, I often have a piece smoldering nearby. And fluffed up, never fails to catch a spark (so far, anyway, touch wood!).
3. The myceum (at least, I think that's what it's called). The heart of the fungus, a chocolate-coloured ball with white spots in it. Usually waterlogged at the moment of harvest, it smolders nicely when dry, but with a slightly different smell.
4. The spore tubes. These grow in annual layers that can be detached seperately from the underside of the fungus. Smolders well, works fine as a coal extender even without charring, but charred, it's just awesome. If you were to put a piece on your hand and light the top, it would burn your hand before you could even see that it's alight! There's something about the tubular pattern that seems to transmit the heat along the tubes. Odourless, smokeless, and almost impossible to put out. A sugarlump size piece will burn away quite happily for about 10 minutes, and gets really hot when you blow on it.

Like to give it a shot? Here's how.

Catch yourselves a fomes fomentarius, cut out the crown where the best tinder is, and cut the rest into segments. Cut away the spore tubes into thumb-sized pieces using a 1" wood chisel, and put them aside for char, and allow the rest to dry for a day or two.

Here's a close-up of the business part of the fungus;

fungustinderclose-up2.jpg

Here's a couple of photos of bits of char from the bottom half of a tinder fungus:

3Funguschar2.jpg

close-up:

4Funguscharclose-up2.jpg

I use this as a coal extender.

Stone firestarting kit:

1Stonefirekitdetails2.jpg

Tinder bundle:

5Tinderbundledetails2.jpg

And here are a couple of vids I made this morning. Please excuse the poor quality, I only have a phone-camera and they're the first videos I've edited.
I've also posted the vids on youtube, they play better if you select the smallest screen display.
vid 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGHxYGhvXLI&feature=user
vid 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb35rCwnV7E&feature=user

Video 1 - using the stones. (1minute 40 seconds)

Video 2 - blowing up the fire. (50 seconds)

The only advantage I can see of using amadou is that it's compact, and it's also a bit easier to handle if you are using a flint and steel. Apart from that, if it's just a spark-catcher you are looking for, rest easy, you can spare your knuckles a skinning after all!

all the best

Al.

largefungus.jpg
largestfungus.jpg

The only advantage I can see of using amadou is that it's compact, and it's also a bit easier to handle if you are using a flint and steel. Apart from that, if it's just a spark-catcher you are looking for, rest easy, you can spare your knuckles a skinning after all!

interesting tutorial. but when the onliest advantage for you is the compactness of amadou, WHY do you kill such large fungi instead of using other, more easy to find tinders? it takes many years for them to grow to such a large size. i came only once or twice across such a large specimen and took only a photo as i would have felt a bit guilty for killing such a big one without serious reason.
"disappointed by the monkeys, god created man. then he renounced to further experiments." mark twain

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
WHY do you kill such large fungi instead of using other, more easy to find tinders? it takes many years for them to grow to such a large size. i came only once or twice across such a large specimen and took only a photo as i would have felt a bit guilty for killing such a big one without serious reason.

With respect forestdweller, where I tend to go there are dozens of them that size and larger and remember that's only the fruiting body. The mycelium that produced it is still within the tree and very much alive, in fact there were probably other fruiting bodies on the tree which are all from the same organism. Also where there is one that size you can be sure it's already performed its primary task of showering all the trees in the area with spores. So while I agree that it's not good to go around picking every one you see, I doubt the impact of picking one or two large ones is as bad as all that.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was just about to say the same thing as Andy :)
We do take your point, but round my neck of the woods if a tree has one of these beasties, it'll have dozens of them popping out.
The problem for me is that they rapidly become too big for me to cut up.........I resorted to a bowsaw on the last one :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE