Fallen Friend

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Notwithstanding the guilt felt at being in a November wood in the first place on Remembrance Sunday, albeit early enough to be back in time for our village service, the discovery that my favourite tree had suffered a significant part drought-induced injury earlier in the year seemed to lend a certain poignancy to this, the most sombre of days.

I have known this tree for over 20 years - a mere chance meeting from the tree’s perspective given it must be at least 500 years old though I stand to be corrected. Throughout our ‘relationship’ my special tree has stood proud and often spoken of times when irreverent squirrels would have only played amidst its branches and not, as has been the case for at least my lifetime, sought refuge from my rifle’s attentions in any number of deep holes and fishers. In fact when it is not thoughts of far-off days when longbow-equipped hunters would have ambushed fallow deer from atop the adjacent gully - so clearly evident by the beech’s exposed root system, it is the somewhat more fanciful notion of how a Tree Rat Estate Agent my describe this, the finest of all flicker-tail residencies, in their sales literature!

Well, there you have it, a sad sight on an even sadder day although being there at all and free to ponder such seemingly inappropriate thoughts was for me a poignant and sobering reminder of what so many gave life and limb for.

Cheers

DSC02243.jpg

DSC02246.jpg

DSC02250.jpg

DSC02249.jpg

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I imagine it will outlast me and some as decay has obviously been with the tree for some considerable time prior to this event. I put the damage down to a combination of an excepetionaly dry summer and strong winds though clearly it was going to happen sometime soon.

I don’t know enough about tree surgery to be sure, but can't help feeling it would do no harm to somehow clean up and seal the gapping and rotten area where the two large limbs have broken away. I intend to discus this with the estate owners.

The tree is in Sevenoaks

Cheers

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Probably something to do with the quality of life I enjoy in 2006 compared to that of my late father and more pertinently his comrades who didn’t come home from World War II

Klenchblaize said:
I imagine it will outlast me and some as decay has obviously been with the tree for some considerable time prior to this event. I put the damage down to a combination of an excepetionaly dry summer and strong winds though clearly it was going to happen sometime soon.

I don’t know enough about tree surgery to be sure, but can't help feeling it would do no harm to somehow clean up and seal the gapping and rotten area where the two large limbs have broken away. I intend to discus this with the estate owners.

The tree is in Sevenoaks

Cheers

I hope that you can get the tree looked at and there is a positive outcome - good luck!

I used to live in Weald just outside Sevenoaks. Going there tomorrow and if all works out will go for a walk around the One Tree Hill area above Underiver. Small world ah?

Phil.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Poor old tree! I would say max 250 yrs old and is normal for big old Beech to do just this and one of my biggest worries re road frontage and public footpaths. Also one of my items in 100 things to remember.... never sleep under big old trees!
I see by the pic this has happened before. If it was near any sort of public access here it would have to be urgently addressed or our insurance would not be valid. If away from anything like that it is either left for wild life or carted off for firewood.
Swyn.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
I used to live in Weald just outside Sevenoaks. Going there tomorrow and if all works out will go for a walk around the One Tree Hill area above Underiver. Small world ah?

Phil.

One Tree Hill indeed!

I recall the area with both great affection and sadly a heavy heart, for just below that ridge (Rooks Hill to be precise) lived a Doctor who showed a younger Klench considerable kindness & trust in the early to late 80’s. It was then a double blow when less than 3 days after the great hurricane of 87, something that in just hours reduced a noble tree-encrusted escarpment to a landscape not at all unlike the fields of “The Fallen” we celebrated only yesterday, that Grace passed away.

To me both Sevenoaks and the surrounding area, and Underriver in particular, have never quite been the same since those two events.

I still occasionally slurp a pint of ale in the White Rock PH but no longer after an enjoyable if delusional day at what was Sevenoaks’ Monday Fat Stock Market.

Enjoy your day tomorrow in Palmer’s “Golden Valley” should time permit.

Cheers and my apologies for being so intimate in my ramblings but there is something about an Autumn mood that almost demands this level of honesty albeit born of a tear-stained cheek.

Klenchblaize said:
One Tree Hill indeed!

I recall the area with both great affection and sadly a heavy heart, for just below that ridge (Rooks Hill to be precise) lived a Doctor who showed a younger Klench considerable kindness & trust in the early to late 80’s. It was then a double blow when less than 3 days after the great hurricane of 87, something that in just hours reduced a noble tree-encrusted escarpment to a landscape not at all unlike the fields of “The Fallen” we celebrated only yesterday, that Grace passed away.

To me both Sevenoaks and the surrounding area, and Underriver in particular, have never been quite been the same since those two events.

I still occasionally slurp a pint of ale in the White Rock PH but no longer after an enjoyable if delusional day at what was Sevenoaks’ Monday Fat Stock Market.

Enjoy your day tomorrow in Palmer’s “Golden Valley” should time permit.

Cheers and my apologies for being so intimate in my ramblings but there is something about an Autumn mood that almost demands this level of honesty albeit born of a tear-stained cheek.

Hi Klench,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It was indeed a sad day in 87 when we lost some many magnificent trees to the storm. I was 17 at the time and still living in Weald village virtually opposite the Windmill. I managed to sleep right through the night but when I awoke and pulled the curtains I could not believe the view of Hubbards Hill, River Hill and Baileys Hill that met my eyes - the tree line was decimated. I recall getting my fathers chainsaw and set to with the other locals clearing the road out of the village. I believe that we were without power for approx. 2 weeks and as the village does not have mains gas things were pretty exciting - fortunately we had a log burner which heated the sitting room and enabled us to prepare some modest fare.

During this period a very good friend of mine was so effected by the damage done to the local woodland that he upped sticks and moved to Wales - I've not seen him in 15 years as he never comes back to the village.

It was a most harrowing feeling walking through the woods with the border collie I had at the time. We would often spend the day just mooching through the local countryside - I was unable to comprehend how so much damage was done in such a short amount of time.

I will drive through Sevenoaks later today and head towards Weald along Weald Road and I will take solace and comfort from the relatively new growth that has started to infill where the mighty once stood.

As to the market and what now stands in its place - words cannot describe my feelings. The recent developments surrounding the railway station are, IMHO, are shocking. Sevenoaks for me no longer has a heart or soul and it is only due to business that I have to go there - we really have lost a wonderful Market Town and it saddens me greatly.

And thanks Klench for your honest and touching post - it's rekindled some memories.

Best regards,

Phil.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hi Klench,

A truely sad sight, I'd suggest putting some of the wood to good use and making something memorable from it - a particularly nice spoon, a pack saw or if you're more adventurous an item of furnature - thus remembering it well and not letting the fungi and insects get it all?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE