Falcon by the river side

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
My wife was out with our son this afternoon when a chap comes along with a falcon on his wrist. He raised her from a chick, what a cutie pie! She is 18 months old.

Falconweb.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful aren't they?

I work parks days with a diverse group of crafts and countryside people. One of them brings along birds of prey for the schoolkids to see, and he flies them. The look of awe on the faces in the audience is revealing; they suddenly realise there's a big world out there filled with fascinating creatures......who needs Gameboys?

cheers,
Toddy

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Exactly! Who needs Gameboys with such facinating things around????

It was on this same stretch of river that I came across another guy with a mixed hawk about 6 months ago that he had bought from the UK (I live in Japan), and was training it with a lure. One time it decided to land next to me instead of back on his arm, Its hard to describe, but when Ray talked about 'as close to a religious experience' on the Sweden episode, this summes it up, I felt so honoured to be so close to it.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
for my stag do last year i spent a day at Exmoor falcony on the North Devon coast. we had all manner of birds land on us - and we went for a stroll through the nearby woods with a harris hawk. we took it in turns feeding etc and it was fine landing on any of us - even on my head! they're so gentle - i think you'd be ok with out a glove - maybe a few spots of blood - but nothing like you expect. they are awesome! we handled approx 15 different birds each, from little owl to full on eagles. i'll never forget it - and all i can say is go and do it if you can. i'll remember it for the rest of my life.
learning that a kestrel can see urine (in the uv spectrum) blew my mind - no wonder they're so good at hunting!
makes me wonder if there's an artificial way of doing the same for tracking purposes.... i'll google it later

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE