Experience with bladders?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Has any one here had experience with making flexible water carry systems using bladders or lungs and similar, I would really like a tough as possible water bladder, not too large, maybe a litre and a half or something.

What would be the best to use animal wise?
What sized animal for the amount of water?

And lastly, which probably should go into swap shop but can you get one, or know someone who could etc, plus any tips going on them would be appreciated.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Bladders (and any other internal organs for that matter) are probably not strong enough to be of much use to you on this matter. They tend to be fairly thin-walled and wouldn't stand up to much hard usage before they split or tore.

You might do well to look at the idea of a leather water bottle. These do not have to be hardened with brewers pitch or beeswax to make them watertight (Like the bottles and tankards we normally see here are) but can be made flexible with a rigid nozzle (Bone or horn ?) for you to then pop a cork into to seal it.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I have several friends that use bladders from the American bison/buffalo for water containers - but only for historical demonstrations. They can work well with proper preparation and care, but are too fragile for most things. You have to treat them a lot like you would a childs's baloon filled with water. When they are wet, pliable, and filled with water, most any sharp object will cut/tear them.

Their use would be more for just around a stationary camp than for carrying water on the trail. The American Indians used them that way. They were brought out and used in camp, but packed away empty when moving or on the trail.

To use them? Wash thoroughly, then tie off all the extra "openings" except for one. Then make a wood spout for the bladder - drilled through with a stopper, and have a groove around the outside of your spout. Then slip the bladder up over the sides of the spout and tie around it tight - in the groove. Also tie on one or more extra loops of cord around the spout - to use to hold/hang your water bladder with. When not in use, your bladder will dry out. So you will need to "soak" it in water to get it soft and flexible when you want to use it next time. If you start to get a little "off" taste in the water, wash out your bladder with a little baking soda added. Some small tears can be carefully sewn up, but it will be hard to seal the tear and around the stitches. And it will naturally "sweat" or seep a little water through the bladder itself - just like using a canvas water bag.

My friend gets about a dozen uses/weekends out of one - he does Living History demonstrations. Then it gets too fragile, or developes hard spots that won't soften with soaking, or he cuts it on a twig or drops it and it breaks. But he does get around a dozen different sessions of use out of one - sometimes more, sometimes less.

The larger animals have larger bladders - which make larger containers. But larger bladders also then hold more water which weighs more - putting more strain/stress on the bladder. So there are trade-offs. My one friend uses buffalo bladders because that is what a number of people wrote in their journals in the late 1700's around the western end of the Great Lakes. That is his Historical Documentation for them for his demonstrations.

The idea is old, and appealing for it's historical past, but does have some pretty severe limitations.

Of course, these are but my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mike Ameling

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I was hoping something would be tougher in use, I had thought about a regular leather bag, but did fancy the lack of seem look in bladders.
Thanks

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
All internal organs are fragile when you try to use them. Intestines have been used for centuries for sausage casings, and the stomach is used for that classic Scottish sausage Haggis.

You could use a bladder as a liner for a leather flask, but then you have other problems to worry about. Specifically the possibility of mold and decay due to poor drying in between use. You would be better off just using plain leather that has been carefully tanned and then sealed with animal fats, wax, or brewer's pitch.

You could use rawhide - untanned animal hide. It would be much tougher in use - very similar to leather. A lot of primitive cultures use the whole hide of a small animal as a water bladder (like a small deer, baby goat, etc.) - carefully skinned out with all the opennings tied and sewn up. You still have to watch out for rot/decay/bacteria, dry it out carefully when not in use for a while, and soak it thoroughly before your next use. And it will still only have a short overall usable life span.

I hope these humble thoughts help.

Mike Ameling

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I like the idea of a leather water carrier, but to be honest there is no way I would use a stomach or bladder, can't be good from a health point of view, bacteria etc. Great for re-enactment etc, but for regular camping its a no no in my opinion

Anybody here make leather water carriers? :)

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
What you may be looking for is probably a drinking flask of bark. I've seen a type in The Bulletin of Primitive Technology which should be easy to use.

Since British people are obsessed with purifying their water before drinking it, there is a method in one of John McPherson's DVDs that may be worth investigating.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Here are a couple pics of water bladders that a buddy of mine made and uses for his Living History demonstrations.

karlbladder1.jpg

karlbladders1.jpg

yhs
Mike Ameling

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE