excuse me sir/madam have you seen this fungi?

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
n715386765_1857729_9873.jpg

reet, me m8 on facebook took a load of piccies whilst out on a walk and said to us all "name it"

this one is doing my flippin nut. i can't find this sucker anywhere. there was a few fungi i got straight off and even a signal crayfish (dispite blurred pic) and the odd flower etc. however this is really really really making me wig out.
cannot find it anywhere.

major kudos and kewl factor points to the namer of this offending mushroom!
pete

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Parasol mushroom? bloody hell i would not have guessed!
just before it parasols out then eh? well i never xylaria you've just saved me another sleepless night thanks!
;)

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
Parasol mushroom? bloody hell i would not have guessed!
just before it parasols out then eh? well i never xylaria you've just saved me another sleepless night thanks!
;)

Very much the wrong time of year for the Shaggy Parasol, and (unlike the plain ol' Parasol, the Shaggy version does go for shade.

I'd guess it was the Shaggy Inkcap - bit early for that, but what with the alleged global warming etc...

Edit:

Actually, it's very early for that - never been found before Feb, apparently. But I can't think of anything else - but I'm no expert, I just know the common ones that I find.

Ian

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
ignore what time of year it is, these pics were taken last summer i believe.
we get lots of shaggy ink cap where i live, it likes to grow on the grass verges by paths etc. very white and scaly yeah but i've never seen em that colour also the cap is very long almost half way and sometimes longer then that on the stem.

xylaria

The base of the stem has red staining, which to me says macrolepoita rhacodes, shaggy parasol. Chalk downland in the SE are some of the best habitats for finding parasols M. procera though. The frilly bits on the cap of parasol are smaller than the frilly bits on a shaggy parasol, which still says its a shaggy parasol to me.

Mushrooms take more than just what is seen in a photo to ID properly

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, you learn something every day here, especially in a thread with xylaria. ;) I've never seen a shaggy parasol that red...

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Xylaria,

I always understood that the way to tell parasol from shaggy parasol was through the stem markings: smoothish and like snake-skin (!) for parasol.

Am I on the right lines or - as I fear - are there more things to see before positive ID?

xylaria

Xylaria,

I always understood that the way to tell parasol from shaggy parasol was through the stem markings: smoothish and like snake-skin (!) for parasol.

Am I on the right lines or - as I fear - are there more things to see before positive ID?

Your are right one of the other features is that shaggy parasol has smooothish velvety and parasols have snake like markings. As you can see from the piccy there is cleary markings on the stem above red stains, which obviously either makes it a parasol or shaggy parasol. Confused!!!!! yeap that's why mushrooms are hard to ID from photo's alone. If I could pick up I could tell straight away what is, then so could alot of people.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE