ESEE Fire Starter By ESEE Knives (Formerly RAT Cutlery)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have learned that finding this in my mailbox or on my doorstep means it's going to be a good day. Over the last several months about a dozen of my happiest days have involved one of these.

IMG_4202.jpg

I've been extremely happy with all previous experiences with that label.

IMG_4279.jpg

After learning that they do have a few of these in stock... so far today is no exception!

IMG_4270.jpg

IMG_4289.jpg

It was a pleasant surprise to find the button compass is now supplied...IIRC the first ones didn't.

IMG_4291.jpg

I really like how ESEE actually takes the opportunity to go above and beyond to make this product a better tool for the end user. They give it a great ergonomic shape that's easy to keep a grip on under less than perfect conditions, a water-tight storage compartment for tinder and other small items, and they even give the user some useful information to read and go by at a time when they may be stressed out and not thinking too clearly.

IMG_4304.jpg

IMG_4306.jpg

IMG_4293.jpg

IMG_4294.jpg

IMG_4295.jpg

I've been seeing what all I can get in it. So far I've got a piece of fatwood enough to use for tinder for a few fires under dry conditions (in which case I most likely wouldn't need to use it) and one fire for sure under wet conditions maybe two. I've also got a small capsule with some fish hood and split shot and I have room for fishing line.

IMG_4330.jpg

IMG_4323.jpg

IMG_4324.jpg

IMG_4333.jpg

I think there is room for some ibuprofen and pseudo-ephedrine with as much pollen as there is in the air here right not that could be a really good thing. The truck was just washed and waxed two days ago.

IMG_4301.jpg

IMG_4267.jpg

IMG_4263.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

Starting the first fire I used a piece of a really large dead Pine tree....that's all fatwood...for tinder, and some dry Cedar limbs for fuel and had a little fire very quickly.

IMG_4399.jpg

IMG_4400.jpg

I like it much better than the ones I've tried that simply have a huge logo engraved onto the side of a slick aluminum cylinder. So far this ESEE fire starter is definitely my favorite of all the "full-sized" "user" systems currently available on the market. I plan to get it out in the woods this weekend and try it out a little more and I can't wait.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
they are very nice bits of kit - very well made - I've a mich metal starter with micarta scales as I prefer a lower profile to these things, its a bit bulky to strap to the outside of a pouch but you cant go wrong with the workmanship

rod can be replaced too so the container is a long term solution - its a bit tougher on your knife than a standard LMF but it throws better sparks thats for sure.

Nice that they now add a compass - took them a while to find one they would support - which is testimant to their commitment to qulaity

nice bit of kit but from what i recall whilst browsing around they are quite expensive

Well...not sure what you've seen them for over there but at the site I got mine they are $30.00 or 19.5 GBP. I gave $28.00 or 18 GBP for the last LMF Army Model fire steel I bought. With the water tight storage capsule and button compass I think the ESEE fire starter is definitely the better deal.

the internal shot shows what looks like a hole showigth bottom of the steel is that glued in so its water tight ??

From what I understand on the original version there was a screw that held the ferro rod in and they were replaceable. Now they have changed designs and they are epoxied in. I filled the capsule with cotton and left it in a glass of water for a while, yes it's water tight.

they are very nice bits of kit - very well made - I've a mich metal starter with micarta scales as I prefer a lower profile to these things, its a bit bulky to strap to the outside of a pouch but you cant go wrong with the workmanship

rod can be replaced too so the container is a long term solution - its a bit tougher on your knife than a standard LMF but it throws better sparks thats for sure.

Nice that they now add a compass - took them a while to find one they would support - which is testimant to their commitment to qulaity

Yeah, I could see where one might look a bit out of place on a nice leather sheath but I am thinking about having a kydex loop made for the kydex sheath of my RC-4, or the ESEE-3 I plan on ordering soon. They really are well made.

Rod is a bit harder than some ferro rods but it really does throw great sparks!! Rods are no longer replaceable though...I don't see wearing one out very quickly though.

I was surprised, I remember them saying when they first started producing them that they wouldn't supply the compasses and that the end user would have to choose their own because they weren't exactly happy with any of them. I'm glad they found one they liked.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Does anyone know if these newer, up-to-date versions (i.e. with the rod epoxied in and the compass included) are readily available in the U.K.?

Does anyone know if these newer, up-to-date versions (i.e. with the rod epoxied in and the compass included) are readily available in the U.K.?

They've only recently become available over here yet so I'm not sure yet. However I know Two Wolves has shipped a guyot to the U.K. that I sent a friend for his birthday so you could contact Lisa and ask her. This is her email.

sales[at]twowolvesoutdoor.com

Had a friend over to help me with some photos today...in the process I ended up showing him how well the ESEE fire starter works. The series of shots pretty much speaks for itself. I reeeeally like this little jewel.

IMG_4793.jpg

IMG_4801.jpg

IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_4803.jpg

IMG_4805.jpg

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Looks a nice wee tool, but overly fancy, not a large enough storage section and a wee bit overpriced.
Nice but too flashy.
Good review though

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Thanks for that. I noticed in the photos that you are using the cutting edge of your knife to get the sparks - is there no other way to produce the necessary shower of heat? Will the squared edge of the back of my knife do it or is the firesteel bit so hard that only the cutting edge will work?

Sorry to keep asking these daft questions!

They've only recently become available over here yet so I'm not sure yet. However I know Two Wolves has shipped a guyot to the U.K. that I sent a friend for his birthday so you could contact Lisa and ask her. This is her email.

sales[at]twowolvesoutdoor.com

Had a friend over to help me with some photos today...in the process I ended up showing him how well the ESEE fire starter works. The series of shots pretty much speaks for itself. I reeeeally like this little jewel.

IMG_4793.jpg

IMG_4801.jpg

IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_4803.jpg

IMG_4805.jpg

Thanks for that. I noticed in the photos that you are using the cutting edge of your knife to get the sparks - is there no other way to produce the necessary shower of heat? Will the squared edge of the back of my knife do it or is the firesteel bit so hard that only the cutting edge will work?

Sorry to keep asking these daft questions!

To be honest I'm not sure yet...other than I have used the spine of the saw on my SAK I have only used the knives I have made by the same company and they all have coated blades. I know a lot of people strip the blades and do a forced patina, and I may, but so far I have left them alone to work with them as designed. I'll test that with another knife whenever it stops raining :) It is a hard rod though.

Looks a nice wee tool, but overly fancy, not a large enough storage section and a wee bit overpriced.
Nice but too flashy.
Good review though

Well h#ll...can't plaese everybody at once now can we lol. It cost $4.00 dollars more than and has loads more storage space than my LMF Army Model plus it has a compass :)

It is a bit more geared to survival than bushcraft....but then you know me...right?

Thanks Nat, glad you at least enjoyed the review :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE