Emergency SMS text registration (outdoor safety)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Posted this over on ROF yesterday and I thought it may be prudent to also post it here.

It's that time of the year again when the MRT teams are at their busiest and mountain safety is of paramount importance. registering for the Emergency SMS service is highly recommended for outdoor users.

Having spotted a couple of mountain safety/incident threads on other forums and a discussion with a mate today, I've become aware that the service isn't that well known about. He's also been involved in outdoor pursuits for many years and he hadn't heard of it, he's registered his number today.

As many of us are aware, some remote areas don't have a good or any mobile phone signal, quite often a text message can succeed where a call won't.

You can find out more and register your number with the service here.........

http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/about_emergencysms.php

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
As part of any risk assessment, route or worst case scenario planning it also never hurts to look at the coverage map for your network provider. Although a cell-phone will keep trying to send a text until it handshakes with a tower in some places there's nothing for it but get to higher ground. The Llyn Brianne bothy is a good example of this and has a grid reference written on the door for where you can get a phone signal in an emergency.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Good information - thanks. This video might also be of interest. It talks about the 112 number, calls to which I believe go to the same place. Worth watching I think:

[video=youtube;XPZv_8dABfU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPZv_8dABfU[/video]

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Yep 112 gets the emergency services as well. Thanks for the video DHD, the more info for folks the better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE