Elder?

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
There are loads of trees round here which have red berries on them, and which look fairly 'elderish'

We're in NE Scotland, and was wondering

a) if it is / could be elder
b) If the flowers / fruits / etc have any uses.

There are a couple of these in the garden, and I do keep the kids away from them.

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
Certainly keep the kids safe until you have made a positive identification.
Photos would help site members with the ID, alternatively you could look at tree identification web pages (there are a few) or invest in an ID book.
Elder will have a pithy core within any branch
Berries will turn black
Jelly ear fungi likes elder
Flowers would be white and a bit like the Umbelliferae family

http://www.british-trees.com/treeguide/elders/nbnsys0000004324.htm

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Oh yeah........ if it is Rowan...........Loads of uses.

Tonic Wine!!! Full of Vit C :)

If Elderberry you have another great source of Vit C and a good cold/flu remedy, Elderberry Rob!

Wings

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I'll up a pic when I can. It's not the 'normal' elderberry, we've got those too though. And it's not Rowan, but again, there are those about. Everywhere.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Also makes a good primitive form of paintball fun, my mum used to go nuts when I came home from school with berry juice all over my shirt.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
IMAG0197.jpg

and

IMAG0199.jpg

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Aye, that'll probably be European Red Elder then. Although I suppose it could be one of the foreign Red Elders...

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
OK, I've just had a look over at Plants for a Future, and this is what they have to say about Sambucus racemosa:

Known Hazards

Although no specific mention has been seen for this species, the leaves and stems of some, if not all, members of this genus are poisonous. The fruit of this species has been known to cause stomach upsets to some people. Any toxin the fruit might contain is liable to be of very low toxicity and is destroyed when the fruit is cooked. The seed is said to be poisonous.

Edible Uses
Edible Parts: Flowers; Fruit.

Fruit - raw or cooked. This species is said to have the tastiest fruit in this genus, it is somewhat reminiscent of red currants though the fruit is considerably smaller and contains many seeds. Rich in vitamin C, the seed can be removed and the fruit used in jellies, preserves etc. The fruit is about 5mm in diameter and is borne in large clusters, making it easy to harvest. Some caution is advised with one report saying the seeds should be removed before the fruit is eaten. See also the notes above on toxicity.
Flowers - raw or cooked.

Medicinal Uses

Plants For A Future can not take any responsibility for any adverse effects from the use of plants. Always seek advice from a professional before using a plant medicinally.

Anodyne; Carminative; Depurative; Diaphoretic; Diuretic; Laxative; Purgative; Resolvent; Vulnerary.

Red elder was widely employed medicinally by various native North American Indian tribes, who used it to treat a range of complaints, but especially as an emetic and purgative to cleanse the system. It is little used in modern herbalism. The leaves, stems and the roots are anodyne, carminative and vulnerary. A decoction is used in the treatment traumatic injuries, fractures, rheumatoid arthralgia, gas pains, acute and chronic nephritis. The fruit is depurative and laxative. The leaves are diuretic, resolvent and sudorific. They are used externally to soothe abscesses and boils. The root, and the oil from the seed, are emetic and purgative. An infusion of the root is used to treat stomach pains. The roots can be rubbed on the skin to treat aching and tired muscles.

Other Uses
Repellent; Straw; Wood.

The leaves are used to repel insects. Wood - commonly used in the manufacture of various domestic items. It can also be hollowed out to make flutes, pipes, straws etc.

See the PFAF page linked above for further information and references.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE