Ebay MOLLE assault bag (Maxpedition clone)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
After a thread pointing out that cheap Maxpedition clones are appearing on Ebay, I thought I'd try one out.
I picked up a MOLLE assault bag.
This is a backpack with about a 30l main bag, two side pouches, and a Proteus/Response clone.
all four Items connect together using MOLLE straps/webbing.
Firstly, It took 8 days from clicking "buy it now" to the items arriving on the doormat.
I opened the bags (It came in two seperate packages, one with the main sack, the other with the pouches).
I laid the items out on the couch and had my first look at what I had bought.

DSCF0496.jpg

At first look they seem ok. the stitching, while not as fine as on my Maxpedition Jumbo Fatboy or Snugpack Response pack, is still perfectly serviceable with no loose ends or missed bits.
All the zips are nice and chunky and seem to work well with no apparent weakness.
The fastex buckles are a bit cheap and nasty (one of them broke as soon as I touched it) but I could change them easily enough if I need to.
The fabric is a heavy duty nylon with a rubberised backing. it should stand up to quite a bit of wear.

The main bag.
two compartments
the main part of the bag.
4"x12"x18"
Entry is through a two way zip from the middle of one side to the other. there is a divider inside the pack to put a hydration system into (there is a velcro covered flap at the top of the bag to feed the hose out of)

the secondary compartment
mounted on the front of the bag on the top two thirds.
2"x12"x12"
there is an expansion panel on this compartment and there is a mesh divider inside.

The outside of the pack has two ice axe loops on the bottom and lots of MOLLE webbing.
(four strips on the front, six on the sides)

The MOLLE strips are where the other parts of the sack attach.

The side pouches
these pouches are meant to fit on the sides.
2"x5"x8"
with a zip entry. there is a divider inside the pouch and two strips of MOLLE webbing on the outside. the straps are attached to MOLLE with Velcro strips and seem quite secure when the pouch is on.

The Response pack clone
This pouch is meant to attach to the front of the pack below the secondary compartment.
In itself it's a fairly accurate copy with a couple of differences. the belt is detachable and can be mounted normally to make a waist pack or on top to form a shoulder strap. A nice feature.
other than that the construction and design is the same.

The Back system is ok, The straps are lightly padded but this isn't a problem as you're not going to be carrying heavy loads. The belt is a little poor. It is detachable however it could do with having more webbing on it but that's easily resolvable.

Good things

Cheap. £35 delivered (mostly postage)
Adaptable (other molle pouches could be added easily)
Enough space for a day trip or even an overnight trip.
Response pack strap/belt

Bad things
cheap buckles.
"jingly" zip pullers (I'll be replacing them with paracord)
Hydration bladder hose access too small for the hose (easy to rectify)

Further thoughts...

it's a decent bag for the price and should last a while,
It's available in several colours too.
Not bad bag

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Main compartment = 15l
secondary compartment = 5l
side pouches = 1.5l each
response pack = 4l

total 27l

and yes, when you consider the cost of the item it's worth it.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
On closer searching, this seems to be a clone of a Camelback military bag.
Anyway, it's a good starter for modification. I'm going to add a couple of water bottle pouches to the sides (for water bottle and crusader cooker) and I've managed to get hold of a medics pouch for it (£6 delivered from Austrailia!)

All the zip pullers have now been replaced with paracord so the bag does not "jingle" so much.

I now need to source some 2" webbing tape to augment the waist belt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE