Eat' N Tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
This is a new piece of kit I got a while back. It is an Eat'n tool from CRK&T. It is a light weight ( 1.5 ounces) combination of spoon, fork, and a few tools combined and made of 3CR13 stainless steel.

DSC_4025.jpg

DSC_4026.jpg

It works well for the more mundane things like MREs...

DSC_4634.jpg

DSC_4640.jpg

and it comes in handy for tinned foods too, even if the pull tab breaks off.

DSC_4623.jpg

DSC_4628.jpg

DSC_4629.jpg

DSC_4630.jpg

DSC_4633.jpg

However, and more importantly to me personally, it also works well with actually cooking and eating "real" foods.

DSC_4215.jpg

DSC_4218.jpg

DSC_4219.jpg

Even when using hot grease that would melt any plastic tool the eat'n tool did great.

DSC_4503.jpg

DSC_4511.jpg

DSC_4534.jpg

DSC_4538.jpg

DSC_4542.jpg

DSC_4543.jpg

The on-board tools are... A Bottle opener for one.

DSC_4664.jpg

A slotted screw driver

DSC_4147.jpg

And, rather than just cutting random round holes to reduce the weight of the tool they took the opportunity to make those holes something useful... three sizes of wrenches that could come in handy; 6mm, 8mm, 10mm.

DSC_4145.jpg

Of these it was the 8mm wrench that really caught my attention from a previous use for a wrench that size at work. An 8mm wrench fits the shaft on the quick-connect coupling I keep in my cordless drill box. So, by that the potential was there for this eat'n tool to also become a handle for a small but diverse tool kit with various types and sizes of bits all in a compact space.

DSC_4170.jpg

I can have better leverage to tighten or loosen screws, and using the long extension I can reach screws in hard to get to areas

DSC_4150.jpg

With the socket adapter I can loosen and tighten nuts.

DSC_4152.jpg

I can put a drill bit in it to bore some small holes. This could come in handy for quietly making screw holes or holes for wire or cordage to make a shelter frame at a time when hammering might not be the best idea.

DSC_4649.jpg

DSC_4646.jpg

DSC_4653.jpg

In testing the steel to see how durable it would be in such use I ran a 3 inch decking screw into a hard Cedar post with no distortion at all as far as I could tell. It's not a very thick steel so I am sure there are limits to what it could take but I am impressed with it so far.

DSC_4156.jpg

DSC_4157.jpg

DSC_4158.jpg

DSC_4161.jpg

DSC_4160.jpg

DSC_4163.jpg

DSC_4162.jpg

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i think i saw your youtube vid on this,...

i remember thinking it looked a bit awkward to eat with,..and a bit short to stir a hot crusader cup with,...

but an excellent reveiw and some well thought out uses,

cheers

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Thanks for sharing that, it looks like a good little tool for the money & one may well find it's way into my new rucksack

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Good eview, but what is in that small flat tin? never sen anything like that before!!!

I'm assuming you're referring to the rectangular tin with the pull tab lid?Those are smoked oysters.
As far as the tool looking to be somewhat short,making it uncomfortable to use,I think I would agree.I wonder if a split stick forced over the end of it would stay on tight enough to act as a temporary handle extension for eating.It would only need to last through the one meal.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been reading a couple of reviews and they say it's prone to rust :(
In this day and age at least they could have used stainless steel if they weren't going to use titanium.

We need a cheap source of titanium sheet and a few design competitions folks :D

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
We need a cheap source of titanium sheet and a few design competitions folks :D

Now that is a good idea, I don't have a clue where to source Ti though ???

As for the tool, I like the idea but it looks too small to be practical, especially if you're eating bagged trail meals a lot. The hex fittings are a good idea and should come in handy for in the field repairs on stoves etc.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If Toddy can't and your serious I Can most likely get you a price on Titanium Sheet , if you could be more specfic about the gauge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE