Easy way to join thin leather squares please

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Could I have advice/views please on joining leather squares.

I have some free leather swatches from furniture superstores and want to create a leather apron/sheet for use when carving or flint knapping (not started flint knapping yet - still building up a kit, of which this is part). I already have a good sized piece of kevlar fabric that I can incorporate but want to use leather as well to provide a thicker (comfort) protection.

The leather sheets are flexible and about 2mm thick in varying colours

I have 5 pieces of 10.5" x 10"

and 20 pieces of 12" x 12"

They may end up being smaller than this if I decide to cut off the bit with holes in which are for the 'hinge' of the swatch.

So the point is: if I joined them all by stitching this would be an enormous amount of work. And I would probably end up with shorter fingers (or maybe bigger fingers because they would be sore and swollen.)

I am thinking of a combination of glue and rivets:
  • glue along all edges (contact adhesive)
  • rivets at each corner
The apron/sheet won't be under great tension so the glue/rivets don't have to be super strong.

Is contact adhesive ok for this purpose? Is there a cheaper and effective alternative?

What size rivets do I need and given the quantity I will be using, what method of fastening them would be best, for ease of use and quality of finish? I have never done this before so easy is good.

I have a pop riveter that I bought about 40 years ago on the basis that it would come in useful one day and have never used it. Has its time come?? If so what type of rivet do I need? Is a pop riveter easy to use?

All advice and comments welcome, including on aspects that I may have missed entirely

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Have you a sewing machine Chris?

If you do then just get some needles that are for leather and sew the patches together... nice and simples as they say :)

edit: Failing that try speaking to some of the folks on here and they might be able to help you out :cool:

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Have you a sewing machine Chris?

If you do then just get some needles that are for leather and sew the patches together... nice and simples as they say :)

edit: Failing that try speaking to some of the folks on here and they might be able to help you out :cool:

Thanks Steve - the sewing machine has always been the province of Higher Management, so in the first instance I will consult with her

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'd just forget about the pop rivets if I were you;)

By far your best option is simply to sew the bits together using the sewing machine and some reasonably heavy thread. You could use the glue if you wanted but it's not needed if using a machine

If you're not too good with the machine get the other half to do it.

Alternatively; use your bits for bags etc and buy a piece of cheap/second quality upholstery leather from somewhere like Leprevo.

If you give them a ring and explain what you have in mind, they'll probably sort you out no bother.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
The above is all true, but if you're definitely against sewing them (or SHE is:)), contact adhesive gives a good hold on leather, just use a good overlap of 1/2" or more. For rivets use the kind you hit with a hammer.

Search EBay for 'leather rivets', if you want both sides to look nice get double cap rivets. 3-4mm should be long enough for that sort of leather.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks again for all the responses, as I now have:
  • the way to do what I was originally asking about, plus
  • a better way to do what I was originally asking (never occurred to me to use a sewing machine), plus
  • a totally different solution to the problem
which is great

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE