Dutch Oven

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Hi, I'm looking to get myself a dutch oven and wondered if anyone could reccomend somewhere. I've seen a few places online but they all seem to be sold out of the type that I want (the one with legs and a lid with a rim for putting coals on). Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Heath

P

Pippin

Have you tried Unbeaten Tracks? Never bought anything from there, but I really fancy one of the potjie pots and they have the best price I've seen so far

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
We bought ours from Ronnie Sunshine on ebay. Ours is as you describe but I can't see one in the shop at the moment. It might be worth dropping an email - I think it was about £30 delivered and we're very happy with ours.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I got mine from ronnie sunshines (google for 'em) - not sure if they have any of that type, but the one I got was exactly as you describe and an excellent piece of kit.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Thanks guys, I just checked unbeaten tracks and though they have what I'm after it seems to be a bit more expensive for the size I'm looking for.

Thr Ronnie Sunshine one is the one I'm after but they're not listing one at the moment. I've just sent an email to see if they have any in stock.
Thanks again

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I just heard back from Ronnie S and he said that he's listing one but that the buy it now price is £49 + £7 shipping. Seems a bit steep to me. Can you remember the price you paid and whether it was buy it now or a regular auction?

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Krougers - the Sowth Eefrikan shop - in Milton Keynes has some potjies and absoluteley whiffs pleasantly of biltong when you go in.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
How about this one? I'm pretty tempted!!
That one looks the same as mine and mine came from Ronnie Sunshine - my top tip is to always wipe the internal surface over with cooking oil when you are done as they are pretty susceptible to surface rust when not in use. If you check out the Rabbit shooting thread in the fair game section you will find my favourite grub of choice cooked in it so far :)

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I've got a 12" Deep Lodge oven which is capable of doing a big stew / chilli etc.

But the depth is a big advantage over the shallower ones when you want to roast something like a chicken or pie, because you can raise it of the bottom of the oven with a trimmed down cake cooler or wire rack so that it gets an all round heat and doesn't burn underneath.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
We've only had ours since early this year and so far have used it to cook "Moroccan" lamb (lamb with chick peas, chorizo sausage and seasoned with lots of cinnamon) and jambalaya for six hungry blokes, and also baked bread and cakes.

Can't find any photos of the actual food, but here's the Dutch Oven on the tripod simmering a stew and also being used to bake with the coals on the lid too.

tripod.jpg

IMG_5956.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE