Duluth Pack Mod.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I recently bought a Duluth Wanderer pack off Ebay, as I wanted a good sized canvas pack to use as cabin baggage and for weekend city breaks. Although I liked the pack from the start, I wanted to replace the cotton webbing shoulder straps with leather and wax the canvas.

For the skilled work of replacing the straps, I contacted Hamish of Half Goat Leatherwork (Dreadhead on here). After a few emails to sort out what I wanted, I sent Hamish the pack, and very soon afterwards he’d returned it to me. To say that I’m pleased with the results is an understatement; he’s done a fantastic job that instantly made the pack look much better.

My next task was to wax the pack. I used this Youtube video for guidance on how to make the wax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BAHx0KBpT4

The only difference between the way that he did it and my technique is that I applied the molten wax with a paintbrush. I left the pack overnight and sewed on a new Duluth badge the next morning (this is about the extent of my sewing skills). The previous owner had removed the original badge, and there was a circle of stitch holes where it had been.

Once the pack had been waxed, I wanted to add an internal pocket. There is one on my smaller Frost River pack and I find it really useful. I searched Ebay again and found a perfectly sized waxed cotton zipped pouch that I’ve attached to the drawcord with mini carabiners.

The only thing remaining is to add a removable back pad. I’m going to glue a piece of thin, flexible plastic (I’ll cut a small piece off one of the roll up sledge sheets that the kids didn’t get to use last winter) to a cutoff from a CCF kipmat.

http://www.ultimateoutdoors.com/equ...&istBid=tztx&gclid=CM2z-LXY78wCFYMehgodQ2sGYA

This will provide a bit of padding and stop hard objects poking through the back.

Cheers, Michael.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I find a plastic chopping board works well as a back protector (2mm ish ) and is dead handy for food prep in camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE