Duck recipes

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Butcher is selling them at £5 a bird...My fave meat.

So Me and dad had one for sunday lunch.

Now I have a lot of duck over.

I had carcase stew and sweet and sour and still have a lot of duck over.

Any suggestions?

no fat, Im afraid; the bird was oddly lean (though scrumptous) and dad is saving it for future potato roastings. (I have told him the health and roasting benifits of duck fat; also how much it costs to purchase in the supermarket.)

I did make some plum (sic) sauce; I got a jar of bottled damsons (was looking for cherry plums but couldnt find them.) out of my store and stewed them with a bit of sugar, then rubbed though the collander to get rid of the skins and stones.

This made a very nice but still tart sauce.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
duck soup?
groucho_marx.jpg

Crazivan

Aug 17, 2010
Oxfordshire
Duck with sweet mango sauce, fine green beans and hash browns. (That's usually my #1 favourite recipe)

1. Peel then slice mango into bite size pieces
2. Dice the duck into similarly small pieces, toss in flour seasoned generously with salt and pepper
3. In a large frying pan (or wok) pour about 2 tbsp of light oil (e.g. sunflower) and heat until nearly smoking
4. Stir fry the duck until nicely brown then remove (I personally like my duck rather pink, so I don't overdo this)
5. Turn the heat to low, then deglaze with about 100ml of water. Add about 1 tbsp of redcurrant jelly and mix
6. When the jelly has melted into the water, add the mango pieces and about 1 tbps of golden syrup (or honey)
7. Cook until mango is soft, add salt and pepper to taste (don't be afraid to add salt, even though it's a sweet sauce) -- make sure to keep an eye on the level of liquid, top up with water if need be
8. Lastly mix up about 1 tsp of cornflour with a little water, pour it in the sauce and stir to thicken
9. Add duck and mix to warm through, check seasoning and serve with fine green beans and hash browns (time wise, I put the beans in boiling water just when I remove the duck from the pan, but I like them firm; hash browns are put in the oven from frozen just before frying the duck)

Enjoy!

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Go back to the butchers and get a few tubs of goose or if lucky duck fat, and make confit duck, quarter the bird lay in a Tupperware box, and spread course sea salt over birds add a few pepper corns, bay leafs and not the French way but a stick of cinnamon and a few star of anise into box. Leave for a day or two, take out of salt wipe of excess salt and give a quick rinse, pat dry. Now either put in a large saucepan or roasting tray pour the melted fat over the pieces making sure they are covered, put a couple of bay leafs, pepper corns, garlic the cinnamon and star of anise in slow roast or simmer either in oven or hob. Real slow and careful maybe an hour or hour and half, meat should be soft but still firm. Remove from fat and place in either Tupperware or kilner jars, let the fat cool a bit then pour into the box or jar making sure its covering the bird. As long as the fat covers the bird it will stop the air getting to it and prevent it going off. Should keep for a good few months in the fridge or old fashioned larder. When ready to eat simply place in a hot oven to crisp off use some of the fat to do some roastie in, or a lovely mash potato with Cumberland sauce. Or take with you into the field and make a cracking cassoulet .

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I usually smoke my duck over hickory. But then, I really don't like the fat.

However your question leaves me wondering if by "duck left over" you men uncooked ducks or the leftovers from what you've already cooked? If the latter, you could shredd it and stir fry it with whatever veg you like. Or mix the shredded duck with cooked rice, peas, diced onions and shredded cheese, and bread crumbs; then plop in the oven (in a flat baking dish) at 350F for a half hour. Ouoila! Duck and rice casserole.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
take off the breasts

make a pocket in each one,

fill the pockets with good quality marmalade with bits

smear the excess marmalade on the outside of the breasts and grill them over 20 minute old lumpwood charcoal on the bbq.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE