Down South, Possibly Dartmoor or elsewhere

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Need some advice, possibly company?

Since last year when I really started making an effort to get outdoors, buy kit etc one of the things I have really wanted to do was get down to Dartmoor however I cant currently drive so rely on public transport and from a quick look about the travel costs down there or even to London were too costly, especially just for a weekend or 3 day trip etc.

However I recently found out about megabus/train and noticed you can get to London from where I live for £13!!?? :)

..so the trip doesn't look as expensive or as long as previously thought so was just looking for some advice on how to get from London to Dartmoor area, ie is there any nice starting points near train stations or bust station or any decent/cheap services I can use and even better is there anybody/group that wouldn't mind a tag-along?

...Or maybe there is a meet coming up down south that would be easy/cheap to get to from London or somebody who could offer me a lift maybe? (I would obviously chip in on fuel).

Any help/advice welcome :)

TIA
Adam

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
No I just go when the weather looks OK, I don't tend to walk as far as I did when younger and less knackered mind you.

There's another bloke in Devon asking about a meet of some sort a week or so back, he may be interested too.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
No I just go when the weather looks OK, I don't tend to walk as far as I did when younger and less knackered mind you.

There's another bloke in Devon asking about a meet of some sort a week or so back, he may be interested too.

Dont worry bud I dont expect to go any any long treks, I'm out of shape anyway. The walk shouldn't be a problem though and will give me a chance to put my lightweight kit to use :)

Yeah the more the merrier bud. If you didnt mind there may be another chap up for it aswell? I'll pm him.

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Only just spotted the link from the other thread. I'm always game for a night under a tarp somewhere. Again, not one for huge wanders, my broken bits complain too much!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Chaps, must have missed this one, i have quite a few sites on the edge of Dartmoor, especially for small numbers (up to 6) I am more than happy to provide somewhere safe to stay, as a base for walking, exploring etc.

Most of my permissions,would insist that i would be there, and most of the farmers /landowners charge a fiver a night, this is not some business or money making excersise, just a mutual love of where i live and sharing it with like minded souls.

Anyway, for more info on whats available and when, if anyone is interested, PM me.

Ivan...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks Ivan that would be great, Much appreciated :)

Would could try and organize something for Nov-Dec?

Hi Adz, yeah i am sure, i have a big meet coming up at the end of this month, once that is over and i have had a few days to get back to normality, i will be in contact with a few possible dates.

I don't normally need much arm twisting
to camp.

Ivan...

PS, i am a bit old and creaky now, so i don't really want massive walks, but am happy to suggest routes for those that do!

digitracker

Mar 29, 2012
Leeds
ADz Megabus on a Wednesday is £5 single anywhere in england, if you can afford the time, you can do wed to wed for a tenner round trip, not too many choices from hull,but from leeds you can go to exeter or plymouth direct for a fiver. I sometimes go to preston on a Wed to fish the ribble for a few hours.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
ADz Megabus on a Wednesday is £5 single anywhere in england, if you can afford the time, you can do wed to wed for a tenner round trip, not too many choices from hull,but from leeds you can go to exeter or plymouth direct for a fiver. I sometimes go to preston on a Wed to fish the ribble for a few hours.

That's handy to know. Thank you.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Ok, Guys, if something can be worked out, with this £5 thing, i am more than happy to pick you up from Exeter coach station, and take you straight to the woods, sound too good to be true!

Ivan...

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire

Ok, Guys, if something can be worked out, with this £5 thing, i am more than happy to pick you up from Exeter coach station, and take you straight to the woods, sound too good to be true!

Ivan...

Wow what an awesome deal. I will definitely be up for this, Thnx Tom for the heads up and thanks Ivan for offer of lift that would be great :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE