Double Overhand Knot Challenge

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
The more familiar double overhand knot shown in the upper photo makes a fine stopper knot.
The mystery double hand knot (It might have a proper name) is shown in the lower photo. Obverse and reverse views.
Can you knot tyers duplicate it?

FaB8EJN.jpg

oMumzj9.jpg

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
just done it by doing a complete full round turn then taking the end through the round turn twice, pull the two ends tight and it looks the same. that right asemery ?. By the way for stopper knots I like the Ashley Stopper knot, when dressed the end comes out the middle and it looks like a sink plug effect.

edited just to add:- my version is a variation on the anchor bend, difference being after you go through the round turn the first time you then go through it again a second time, instead of taking the second turn ''outside'' of the round turn as in the anchor bend you take it ''inside'' instead, and also the round turn is not taken around any object of course so it can be drawn up tight to form the knot, right or wrong ?

Last edited:

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
just done it by doing a complete full round turn then taking the end through the round turn twice, pull the two ends tight and it looks the same. that right asemery ?. By the way for stopper knots I like the Ashley Stopper knot, when dressed the end comes out the middle and it looks like a sink plug effect.

edited just to add:- my version is a variation on the anchor bend, difference being after you go through the round turn the first time you then go through it again a second time, instead of taking the second turn ''outside'' of the round turn as in the anchor bend you take it ''inside'' instead, and also the round turn is not taken around any object of course so it can be drawn up tight to form the knot, right or wrong ?

That is not the way I did it. Take a look at the OP. It shows the front and back of the knot. No cross-over of strands. Your method looks great from the front but not the back. Please post a photo if I am mistaken

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
okay i have cracked it asemery, I am putting up some photos in a few minutes. Looks right now, no crossovers.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
okay asemery here you go >>>>

tie an ordinary overhand knot.

then make a loop in end of rope.

then take the end back through overhand knot making sure to come back out through both loops you now have.

pull tight and dress knot and this is the front view.

and this is the back view (no crossovers).

I worked I out realising the knot is a variation of the overhand knot tied in a bight as shown below.

How's that, right or wrong ? ATB :)

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
okay asemery here you go >>>>

tie an ordinary overhand knot.

then make a loop in end of rope.

then take the end back through overhand knot making sure to come back out through both loops you now have.

pull tight and dress knot and this is the front view.

and this is the back view (no crossovers).

I worked I out realising the knot is a variation of the overhand knot tied in a bight as shown below.

How's that, right or wrong ? ATB :)

That's it. Nice pictures.
Double overhand knot solution
If you have tried and given up.
mystery double overhand knot solution

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE