Dog Collar

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Made this dog collar for a friends malamute. she wanted his name Riley in runes with paw prints and a snowflake so this is what i came up with. i also added a soft lining on the inside to make it more comfortable for the pooch. stupid me i didnt realise until i finished that i put the damn buckle on the wrong way round grrr. i could have unstitched it but now iv put the rivets in not sure i can reverse it. the buckle still works fine but the slight error is gnawing at my mind

cimg1366x.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2012-08-03
cimg1373h.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2012-08-03

and one of it WIP in bow workshop

cimg1357o.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2012-08-01

anybody know any good ways to remove rivets? as i may unpick it all and fix the buckle if i can without damaging the leather. to be honest i dont think she will mind in the slightest but mistakes are irritating

cheers

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Looks great!

very very slowly drill rhe rivets out from the rear.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Joel_m

Jul 31, 2012
Berkshire
I have to say as a recent joiner to this forum some of the stuff you guys make really is impressive. Buckle the wrong way or not still a great piece of work!

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
OOOooo that looks very nice. Would you be prepard to take any orders??

I like the workshop too and nice pocket watch:)

jpgrilo

Tenderfoot
Nicely done :)

I have successively removed some rivets by drilling from the behind with the dremel with great care to avoid the drill getting stuck in the rivets and making it turn with the risk of scratching the leather.

JG

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Nice, I like that. Less risky than drilling out the rivets, remove the roller tube,not really needed on a dog collar anyway, that way it won't show so much that it's the wrong way around.

Dreadhead

good idea blacktimberwolf as i reckon i will only end up damaging the collar removing the rivets and unpicking the threads. just removed the roller, took 2 seconds and it looks much better :)

Last edited:

Dreadhead

I really like that. :)

Can I ask what thickness leather you used for the main part and what was for the liner?

You've inspired me to make one for my Ruby!

for this collar i acually used a tandy leather dog collar kit as they were on sale. the main leather is around 2mm and the lining is from a cow hide i was given thats less than 1mm thin so it works really well.

thanks for the positive comments folks really appreciate it. been working all day on a belt for a customer absolutely knackered will have pics up in a few days :D

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Very nice mate, iv removed loads of rivets by using electrical side cutters, do it gently so you dont damage the leather and the snips cut through very easily mate

martsim73

Jul 30, 2012
Wimborne, Dorset
I have to say as a recent joiner to this forum some of the stuff you guys make really is impressive. Buckle the wrong way or not still a great piece of work!

I agree with him as another relatively new newbie to the forum! Nice work! Did you Google the runes? :)

Martin

Dreadhead

thanks guys :)

and no i didnt iv been inscribing runes on antler and leather for years aswell as tattooing. there are several dialects but i use Futhark which is norse based as opposed to say futherk (?) which is more anglo-based. always prefers using runes they have a rustic and magical quality to them :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE