DIY wood burning stove

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I was wondering if anyone has built a stove using a stainless steel gastronorm container?

A 200mm deep 1/2 container has dimensions of 325 x 265 x 200mm, and with a price of < £15. With a lid about £4.

They're made to be put in ovens and the like so should have no problem with the heat.

So seems like a good place to start, maybe?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'm pretty sure Ludlowsurvivors, put up some photos and a tutorial when he made his from an old gas bottle - can't find the link just now but if I come across it I'll add it here...

ATB

Ogri the trog

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I made this years ago and it's still going strong. An hours work and a few bits liberated from work and you're sorted. I've made different sizes too, but I've found that this size works best as a combo firepit / BBQ. I've drilled a few more holes in the bottom since.

IMG_0337.jpg

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I've had one similar to the ludlow survivors one, but made from the next size smaller cylinder. It has kept me, and my shed, warm for the last 7 years. They through out an incredible amount of heat so you have to make sure they are a distance from flammable walls etc. Mine will burn anything, wood, coal, rubbish.:D

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Fred,

It is high temperature stove paint, a small tin will do at least a couple of coats and it stays on really well, not particularly cheap though.

LS

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What SW has been too modest to point out is that's a "wombled" Aga cover over his stove - making it cooker and heater combined!

Cool huh?

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Could one of these ne made on it's side to allow it to have longer bits of wood thrown in? The top cut completely off with a flap to hinge over the hole making the door, and maybe a grillage welded to the top on the outside to allow pans and food to be heated on it.Wouldn't mind giving one a go myself, but I think my dremel may struggle!

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Could one of these ne made on it's side to allow it to have longer bits of wood thrown in? The top cut completely off with a flap to hinge over the hole making the door, and maybe a grillage welded to the top on the outside to allow pans and food to be heated on it.Wouldn't mind giving one a go myself, but I think my dremel may struggle!

Theres a few designs that do pretty much exactly that, I copied a mass of scrap made stoves off the internet a while ago, and there were a few like that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE