DIY repairing berghaus yeti gators

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
On one of there maiden uses years ago I caught the rubber with my crampon and put a wee tear in the rand. I packed them away with the best of intentions to repair them but forgot all about them. Having just dug them out of a box they are in pristine condition other than the tear. It'll be £30 quid to get them professional fixed by replacing the whole rand.

Is there was a DIY fixing solution?

pics below of the damage as you can see its only a wee nip......

yveqaryd.jpg
udepamar.jpg
de8ehu4e.jpg

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thats in a tricky place.

The first thing that springs to mind to fix it is a big bicycle puncture repair patch on the underside, maybe even a section of inner tube bonded with the vulcanising glue.

If I had some Shoe Goo, I'd use that instead on the rubber patch as its proved a good fix for a few pairs of trainers I've stuck the soles back on with and I'm sure it would stick to the rand on the Yeti's.

Hope this helps :)

It needs to be a strong and flexible join obviously, those Yet's are harder to get on than finding a real one :)

greensurfingbear

I have fixed similar tears on Yetis with superglue, just create a slight overlap then hold tightly till welded

tried that when I first damaged them :(

and have just been unsuccessful with the sugru.

Going to try to put a patch on them using an old inner tube.

If that don't work then it looks like it'll be £30 repair bill, as I think now that I'm living on the we(s)t coast of Scotland I'll have more need for them lol.

mind that they are selling them new on Evilbay for £40!!

Last edited:

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
To repair mine I got an old pair of NBC boots from a surplus shop cut of a piece and used superglue to patch up

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Get a new pair off the bay is probably a realistic option will work out cheaper. If Sugriu didn't work then I wouldn't hold out on anything else; and you have laid out money already
I hope this is sound advice from experience

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The problem with the repair is the nature of getting yeti gaiters onto your boots. Any repair will need. To be flexible and water proof. Does shoe goo flex?

Orric

It's certainly waterproof. As for flexibilty it is sufficiently bendy to follow the movements of a shoe sole. It is used a great deal by skate boarder's to cover the wear holes in their trainer like shoe soles as well as rebuild the front of their shoes.(appearantly they take quite a beating) Don't use it as a glue though, but put a dollop on & spread it generously over the tear. when dry you can cut or sand off the excess, it probably won't be as pretty as it was before, but should hold. It will only stick to rubber , leather & canvas.

It dries to a rubber like substance. I think you can pick a tube up for a couple of quid in the UK so may be worth a punt. It comes in black or clear. If you can afford it though prehaps a new pair would be wiser.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Get a new pair off the bay is probably a realistic option will work out cheaper. If Sugriu didn't work then I wouldn't hold out on anything else; and you have laid out money already
I hope this is sound advice from experience

That would be my advice too, there is a lot of stress in the rubber and ttey will keep ripping open. Yetis ROCK!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE