Diy Hennessy jungle Safary XXL underquilt using snugpack cocoon or similar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 28, 2023
Ballouneh
Greetings,

I am looking for a suitable underquilt for my Jungle Safari XXL Hennessy hammock. I am considering adapting the snugpack cocoon by removing zippers, cutting it to resemble a blanket, and adding attachment points to fit the hammock's shape (which is asymmetrical). Has anyone attempted this or used a different method to underquilt this large hammock? Only interested in do-it-yourself solutions. Please.

Thank you very much,
Migwar

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I DIYed a synthetic underquilt from scratch, still using it for summer camping. It was smaller than what you are talking, and fits a regular Dutchware Chameleon for me, 5'8".

You have an electric or foot operated sewing machine? I did a big sew job on a hand turned machine and it was really difficult, the slippery fabric is hard to manage with just one hand.

One useful tip is to get a friend to draw on the outside of the hammock in chalk while you are lying in it, trace the outline of where your body lies, where you need the insulation. Then you have a starting place to lay out the insulation. You don't need insulation on the whole width of an underquilt. I have some areas which are just double layer fabric, no insulation, because my quilt insulation is asymmetric, but I want the suspension elastic cords to be higher than where I have the insulation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Migwar Bushcraft

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I watched a video the other day, can't seem to find it now of a chap who purchased the hennesy uq system and didn't like it, so used the undercover, minus the rest of it to have a custom underquilt made by someone. It was us based, and the cost about 400$ for a winter down version , so I kinda skipped it, as my pocket won't reach that far, but if you already have the undercover, there is a starting point. I wouldn't be using down in the UK though, mind, if the undercover is waterproof then it's an option if you can afford it. Personaly I'd butcher some old sleeping bag for it. The undercover is perfectly sized and made for the hammock so is a ready pattern. Maybe you could borrow one to pattern from scratch.?
I'm surprised hennessay don't make one, just about every other brand makes one to fit their hammock, they are realy missing a trick here!

May 28, 2023
Ballouneh
I DIYed a synthetic underquilt from scratch, still using it for summer camping. It was smaller than what you are talking, and fits a regular Dutchware Chameleon for me, 5'8".

You have an electric or foot operated sewing machine? I did a big sew job on a hand turned machine and it was really difficult, the slippery fabric is hard to manage with just one hand.

One useful tip is to get a friend to draw on the outside of the hammock in chalk while you are lying in it, trace the outline of where your body lies, where you need the insulation. Then you have a starting place to lay out the insulation. You don't need insulation on the whole width of an underquilt. I have some areas which are just double layer fabric, no insulation, because my quilt insulation is asymmetric, but I want the suspension elastic cords to be higher than where I have the insulation.
Thank you. I will consider your thoughts.I don't have a sewing machine though! Great hint for outlining where the body lies with a chalk.

May 28, 2023
Ballouneh
I watched a video the other day, can't seem to find it now of a chap who purchased the hennesy uq system and didn't like it, so used the undercover, minus the rest of it to have a custom underquilt made by someone. It was us based, and the cost about 400$ for a winter down version , so I kinda skipped it, as my pocket won't reach that far, but if you already have the undercover, there is a starting point. I wouldn't be using down in the UK though, mind, if the undercover is waterproof then it's an option if you can afford it. Personaly I'd butcher some old sleeping bag for it. The undercover is perfectly sized and made for the hammock so is a ready pattern. Maybe you could borrow one to pattern from scratch.?
I'm surprised hennessay don't make one, just about every other brand makes one to fit their hammock, they are realy missing a trick here!
Thank you. Yes, my idea and question is about if someone did modify a snagpack cocoon for the purpose, especially its size; noting that I found it efficient in terms of insulation and trapping heat (when using it as cocoon for smaller hammocks). I as well agree with you about Hennessy. For the undercover, it will be easier I believe. Much appreciated.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Just done a quick reccy on underquilts for a hh.
Apparently you can get the snugpac uq to fit.
I must try this, as I have a hh classic bottom entry and a snugpack uq, which is wider than the dd uq, so would make for a better fit. Worth a try anyway.
Havnt used the hennessay since I went to dd, which is a heavier system and takes a bit longer to put up, but I've stopped using the normal hanging and knots system, and use daisy chains and climbing ' binas. Also modded my ridgeline for the tarp to a no knot system with a nitize nine, 20220819_195713.jpgSo much easier and quicker all round. I also prefer a bigger tarp, the hh one is carp! I now use the dd rig with a 4×4 tarp....luxury! Not backpack friendly though, takes a lot of room in a pack. For sure the hh is lighter and more backpac friendly, but then I don't realy backpack anymore...my old bones say no way ! So for a static camp it's perfect, I can get my sleeping and chilling area plus a tabletop kitchen all under the tarp no problem, and all stays dry as a bone, even with one side raised as in the pic.

Last edited:

Roughneck

Mar 17, 2021
Chelmsford
I did just that with a super cheap down sleeping bag from Ebay. Rather bright red but now crudely dyed greeny black patches. Have tried it down to -2° no issue's a cheap way to keep warm and packs tiny.

Attachments

• 20200413_142648.jpg
    20200413_142648.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200413_110452.jpg
    20200413_110452.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200413_110502.jpg
    20200413_110502.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200413_113157.jpg
    20200413_113157.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200413_113224.jpg
    20200413_113224.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200413_142702.jpg
    20200413_142702.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200413_181045.jpg
    20200413_181045.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200413_181034.jpg
    20200413_181034.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 7
May 28, 2023
Ballouneh
Just done a quick reccy on underquilts for a hh.
Apparently you can get the snugpac uq to fit.
I must try this, as I have a hh classic bottom entry and a snugpack uq, which is wider than the dd uq, so would make for a better fit. Worth a try anyway.
Havnt used the hennessay since I went to dd, which is a heavier system and takes a bit longer to put up, but I've stopped using the normal hanging and knots system, and use daisy chains and climbing ' binas. Also modded my ridgeline for the tarp to a no knot system with a nitize nine, View attachment 89653So much easier and quicker all round. I also prefer a bigger tarp, the hh one is carp! I now use the dd rig with a 4×4 tarp....luxury! Not backpack friendly though, takes a lot of room in a pack. For sure the hh is lighter and more backpac friendly, but then I don't realy backpack anymore...my old bones say no way ! So for a static camp it's perfect, I can get my sleeping and chilling area plus a tabletop kitchen all under the tarp no problem, and all stays dry as a bone, even with one side raised as in the pic.
It is indeed a beautiful setup, and since you are happy with it, then it is quality..I will have then to give the snagpack cocoon a try, I am not though into sewing etc but I shall find a way. The HH XXL is really large and as mentioned by some other colleagues here, I shall mark my position in the hammock and match it with the new setup. Let us see. I love the snagpack cocoon, it served me well for long time for banana shaped hammocks, but I will sacrifice it. Great setup again, keep enjoying nature.

Reactions: Woody girl
May 28, 2023
Ballouneh
I did just that with a super cheap down sleeping bag from Ebay. Rather bright red but now crudely dyed greeny black patches. Have tried it down to -2° no issue's a cheap way to keep warm and packs tiny.
Great work there, it looks like made for that hammock. I will have to copy you as much as possible to customize that cocoon. I am not the best hand in sewing machines, but will seek some help. The HH as you know has an asym shape which could be a bit more challenging, but should work at the end. The whole thing worth the try.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
It is indeed a beautiful setup, and since you are happy with it, then it is quality..I will have then to give the snagpack cocoon a try, I am not though into sewing etc but I shall find a way. The HH XXL is really large and as mentioned by some other colleagues here, I shall mark my position in the hammock and match it with the new setup. Let us see. I love the snagpack cocoon, it served me well for long time for banana shaped hammocks, but I will sacrifice it. Great setup again, keep enjoying nature.
Thanks, I know the pic isn't relevant to your question, but I thought I'd share my set up anyway, as it suits me perfectly nowadays. I last used my hennassy about 8 yrs ago, but when I discovered my present set up meant I could sleep so much warmer, and be more comfortable , it was a no brainer!
If hennessay bring out a proper underquilt, instead of the overpriced windscreen protecter they sell now, at a similar price range to the dd or snugpack, I'll be up to getting it and downsizing my kit a bit. I do like the hh, but I never managed to have a complete night's sleep in it, (i used it for 10 yrs) even in a warmer summer spell. I sleep like a log in the dd. So it's worth the extra effort to put it up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE