Deneholes: Warning !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Denehole = Aincent chalk or flint mine, hiding place, storeage pit.

During a school project my son was involved in we decided to take a close look at some of the hundreds of Deneholes scattered around the Kent countryside.

One thing that quickly became obvious is how dangerous these can be. Most of them we have seen have not been fenced in or marked with signs, and taking in to consideration that they can be 90'+ deep, you could easily fall down one, especially during the summer months when the vegitation is at its highest.

S8002196.jpg

S8002197.jpg

For some more info on these, select Denehole from the side menu of this site www.kurg.org.uk/

You will find them marked on OS maps in old english font. But be very careful if you go looking for them !! :eek:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I've always wondered what a denehole was. You see loads of them marked on maps.
At last. Now I know. Cheers!

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
Holy god, these holes are just scattered around without fencing :D
Awesome, but good lord that looks dangerous.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Hope wayland doesn't see this, a viking with horns on his helmet :eek::AR15firin :D

Are they marked on OS maps?

cheers,

Alan

From what I head, one of the main reasons the Vikings came here was because they had the horn!!

If you look on your local OS maps you might find some, there are loads of them in the Kent area.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
There has been several local house collapses and one new main road subsided through a Denehole the surveyors failed to notice!! :eek:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I stopped off in Reading one day to try and hustle my way into one of those a few years ago. There's a sealed one in the corner of a schoolyard with a ladder. Thought the janitor might have a key but he didn't and I didn't really have time to try the phone number he gave me.

Didn't know they were marked on maps. None of my maps would have any. The daydream of tossing a rope down and having a look is kind of hampered by they thought of rope vs flint and being stuck down a hole:)togo: ) but it would be interesting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE