Dehydrator Jerky

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, BB very kindly bought us a dehydrator recently inspired by a number of links to the very reasonable products around at the £25 to £30 mark. We really wanted one to preserve surplus garden produce (chillis etc.) prior to getting an Aga back on out next move (the cool ovens in Agas are great for drying!).

Anyway, we’ve dried some herbs and so forth but I had a hankering for some jerky and I though I’d do a few photos of the process since a few people are interested.

I decided to do some measurements to calculate amounts I can process at a time, so started of with 500g of lean beef.

380957222_05cbb50ae8.jpg

This is a nice lean cut, but fats can make dried meats go rancid so I trimmed of any larger fatty areas.

380957228_b3ddd59952.jpg

Next step is to slice it thinly. I like to slice across the “grain” of the meat since it makes it much easier to eat when cut that way. I keep the strips about 5mm thick at the most – you get a lot it seems as you are cutting.

This is the grain of the meat (left to right)

380957230_0bb0e8197e.jpg

These are the strips – you get a LOT

380957233_39cd56e1ab.jpg

Next step is to marinade the meat – this tenderises the meat and adds flavour. I like mine spicy!

I put all the strips into a Ziploc bag and added Tabasco, Soy, Worcester sauce, barbecue spice and chilli flakes

380957236_58a2f2c956.jpg

I then gently rolled and massaged the meat to drive the flavour in

380957242_a4c2b72e0c.jpg

Finally the bag was left in the fridge overnight to soak up all the flavours

380974030_c80d4cff3d.jpg

Next morning, BB lined the bottom of the dehydrator with tin foil in case of drips. The meat neatly covered one tray of the dehydrator. So that’s helpful – I have 5 trays on my dehydrator so I know now I can process 2.5kg of meat at a time (more if I slice more thickly, but then it wouldn’t be my favourite!)

380974041_6fb6c99a0e.jpg

Here’s how it looks after 30 minutes. You can see already how it’s shrinking and all the surface liquid has gone

380974042_d4d635ba5a.jpg

After 2 hours. I was checking regularly to know when it was right. This was still soft and “squishy” to the touch. I like it just bendy but hard and fully dry

380974044_8f0799136e.jpg

After 7 hours we had it done. Here’s the finished article. Amazing how much it reduces in size.

380974045_92cbd692f0.jpg

In fact I weighed it. There was 150g – or just under a third of the original weight.

380974046_b3df3a65d9.jpg

Well that’s it – you don’t need a dehydrator to do this – its just that its set up for lower temperatures and blows air through. The house smells great! You could achieve this in a cool electric oven by hanging the meat on toothpicks through the bars or spreading it on wire trays. A cool Aga oven or solar dehydrator work really well too.

Oh - its at least as good as oven jerky too - I feel a 5lb batch coming on ;)

Red

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Great stuff B R! I've been thinking of jerkying (or is it jerking ;)) some beef for quite some time now. But since I've got a new lavvo last weekend I'm thinking of hanging it high up in lavvo, where the smoke goes out, and ,well, smoke it, inside the lavvo. Since it's so high up, the smoke will be cool, and the smokey air will be really dry with a constant upward draft, so I'm hoping it will not take too much time, and the flavours will hopefully be excellent. Think I will hang some sausages up for company. What do you think of that setup?

And of course: :You_Rock_ :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice one Red :D

We have the same dehydrators, one for meat, one for fruit & veg. Mostly veggie household and we don't mix meaty utensils, etc.,
HWMBLT used some of the ready made jars of curry sauce with finely sliced pork medallions and says the results were brilliant. The texture wasn't as good as Jerkymeister's but the stuff didn't hang around long enough for it to matter much :rolleyes: He also did some venison Patrick gave him and my bother guzzled most of that :rolleyes:
One thing I would say is that when fruit is drying the kitchen smells wonderful :cool: , and normally Son 2 and I totally lose appetites when meat is cooking but this stuff just smelled like good curry :)

We use a smokebox for meat/ fowl and fish sometimes in Galgael, the meat comes out shiny black, looks like carved ebony, but the carnivores love it and they can really taste the difference in the woods used to smoke it. Birch isn't good apparantly, but oak is.

Cheers,
Toddy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad you enjoyed it guys. I think your setup needs inspecting by me personally BigSwede (aand I should check the sausages too) :D

Seriously though, it should work, but it will need a considerable time - several days I would think ?

Toddy - I keep meaning to build a smoker, but thats one for the new house I think ;)

Red

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
i've just got a dehydrator and will have a go at making jerky, but i'd like to know how do you store it and how long can it be stored?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its never lasted long enough to find out Wintrup :eek:

I make it in 5lb batches and it lasts several months (after that its eaten rather than gone off). I make mine very dry and just keep it in bag. Plastic bags can be a bad thing if the meat isn't completely dried as it will sweat and go mouldy (I haven't had this problem but I have heard of it) - so paper or cloth.

I ordered a vacuum sealer recently so will probably have a go at vacuum packing with that.

Hope that helps a little

Red

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I've made it few times and although it normally doesn't last long enough to go off there have been a few times where it has started to go off after about 6 days.

So what am i doing wrong?

It spent hours in a warm oven with the door open and it certainly seems very dry when i take it out.
I don't use the leanest cuts of beef so maybe that is the problem as mentioned by Red below.
Horror of horrors:eek: it's stored in an open plastic bag. Would it be moisture generated by the storage that's making it go off?

I often do large batches when going on holiday and plan to do so again this year.
Any ideas?

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
I normally store mine in paper bags, never had a problem so far.
I weigh the meat before drying, then weigh it after a set drying time, then keep weighing until the weight has stabilized, this should ensure that it is completely dry.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ark Angel - I think "dry" is a relative term - that may be the problem. Mine takes about 7 - 9 hours in a dehydrator so probably 12 hours or more in an oven. On snapping a piece the white fibres should show clearly - and it should snap / tear not bend. I then leave it in a bowl in the fridge for a couple of days (if you bag it warm it will attract condensation), then bag - works for me. I suspect its either not dry enough, cool enough or lean enough.

Red

May 24, 2007
Would using one of those silica gel packs work for getting rid of moisture in a sealed bag?

My jerky goes in the oven tonight. Hopefully it wont be too bad.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Got a load of steak on offer at asda so I made four batches

worcester sauce
soy sauce
honey and mustard
garlic and herb.

(the last two were those little sauce tubs from Dominos, with vinegar to make it more runny to marinade with)

its in the oven now, and should be ready in a few hours

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Julian,

I wouldn't put chemicals in with it mate. Doesnt work well in a vacuum sealer either - the jerky is so hard it tends to pierce the film. Dry it well, keep it in a cloth, paper or open plastic bag and enjoy. My suggestion is ensure you use lean cuts and dry longer than you think at first

Red

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Nice Jerky Red.

As I was in South Africa recently I have been eating quite a bit of Biltong and have got a real taste for it now. So I decided to try and make my own.
Crushed coriander and salt rubbed into a piece of rump steak.

This is it after 12 hours in the dehydrator and two hours airing.
My cats had been circling below the dehydrator non stop at this point
for ten or twelve hours

534703769_a6caef18d0_o.jpg

Sliced up into thick pieces..

534703773_95ac8eba5e_o.jpg

and this was five minutes later :D

534703777_ef754dcee8_o.jpg

It was excellent stuff, but not a touch on the way they made it out in S. Africa.
More practice is definitely required :)

May 24, 2007
My first attempt came out edible, which is encouraging. I used some lean meat and a mix of soy, garlic and reggae reggae sauce which has worked out quite well.
The only downside is that it makes my teeth ache after eating a few strips.

Heres a question... is there any way of drying out the meat using these nice long sunny days? (smoking isn't an option in a 2-up 2-down terrace with no garden)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Marts - hellish hard to dry a piece that big in a domestic dehydrator - that had to be - half an inch thick? Bet it tasted great but it'll never keep (for a variety of reasons).

I'd cut all that fat off if I were you (if you want it to keep).

Its perfectly possible to dry a piece that large - but it will take a week or two!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Julian - absolutlely - I can send you links or if you want to wait a few weeks I'll do a sloar dehydrator tutorial

Red

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Its perfectly possible to dry a piece that large - but it will take a week or two!

Red

Ahh but Biltong is made wet as well as dry. Ihave to say I preferred the wet stuff. Like you say it wouldn't keep that long, but over in S. Africa we managed to keep a batch of wetter biltong for a week before it was finished and it was fine. Agree though it would have to be alot drier to keep for extended periods.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fair play you are spot on! As a slow cook method, wet biltong is spot on. Bush Baby just eats raw meat though (seriously) so I tend to jerk dry

Red

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
couldn't trouble you for the details of where you aquired your dehydrator, if you wouldnt mind.

thanks

Adam.:)

sorry, just found the other post. DOH

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE