Dehydrated Food In Bulk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have indeed got a supply delivered of freeze dried food ingredients - review to follow as and when I get time - they include meat, veg and interestingly freeze dried fruits like strawberries and raspberries. I like the idea of being able to have a freeze dried pawn omlette or blackberry crumble rather than stick to other peoples ingredients.

I promised the supplier a review (I only bought basic ingredients rather than meals)

Red

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
freeze dried fruits sound good but when it comes down to veg I dry my own. I just get frozen corn, pea, beans etc and put them in my dehydrator and you can get all sorts or interesting dried stuff from Chinese and India/Pakistani grocers but then I am lucky in the fact that I am so close to Manchester and Bolton etc.

Red are freeze dried prawn much quicker than the one you get in Chinese grocers?

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
There are very strict rules for importing food into the EU. Which is a bit of a shame as there are loads of US companies offering bulk dried foods. But GMO is used throughout the US and as a consumer your not allowed to know (thanks to Monsanto) so it's probably no bad thing.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
There are very strict rules for importing food into the EU. Which is a bit of a shame as there are loads of US companies offering bulk dried foods. But GMO is used throughout the US and as a consumer your not allowed to know (thanks to Monsanto) so it's probably no bad thing.

It's even stricter the other way round. You can get a $1,000 fine for taking an proper haggis into the country (the lungs are not considered fit for human consumption so they cannot make the real stuff over there). It does not stop the getting smuggled over the Canadian boarder though :D

We almost got done the other year taking some gravy granules over to an expat 'sick bird'. The problem was that we bought them from a barrel grocer to keep the cost down, we were bring loads of stuff over. Well I reckon that we got busted by one of the meat sniffer dogs (yes they have them in the land of the free, but not necessarily free range ;)). Got taken over to the customs inspection/scanner station and they found the illicit baggy :yikes:

Well we could not remember if it was meat based or meat free and had nothing to prove it either way, we kept our calm and was very polite to the officials and they just took it away for destruction. But we could had a $1000 start to our holiday.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE