Definition of 'wild' flower versus not that wild

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
This might be a bit of a stupid question... well, you know what I mean :)

What defines whether or not a flower or plant is considered wild, meaning that I can't
uproot it? Is it solely defined in terms of the plant's species or does location have
anything to do with it? Or numbers (conservation, rarity etc.)? I have a feeling that
someone's told me and I've forgotten, and they may even have posted a helpful link
to some government website which I've also forgotten.

Dandelions in my garden, for example. Mine? Not mine? Wild? I suppose they've
never been particularly uprooted, just slightly guillotined by the mower. But I didn't
plant them, they just grew there... er, slightly wild.

How about dandelions on public paths? (yes I might want to wash them first!)

Or are dandelions not deemed wild?

I've been admiring a beautiful climbing creeper plant at my local railway stations, which
turned out to be bindweed which seemingly is much hated, particularly by allotment
owners. If I find some that I can reach (the station helpfully encloses the wildlife behind
a brick wall) can I pinch it and try it in a stir fry or whatever it might be that people would
do with bindweed (assuming it's edible)?

As an aside isn't "overwintering rosette" a lovely phrase?!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You can't uproot any plant[wild or not] without the permission of the landowner. Plants on land to which you own or are responsible for [rent] can be uprooted, unless it is protected under the country and wildlife act. The list of protected plants is quite small.

You can harvest for your own consumption fungi, flowers, foliage and fruit anywhere you have a legal right to be; public footpaths, highways and byways and common land. Some areas of private land that are common access forbid any foraging [eg;Epping forest]. But you cant scrump apples off your neighbors while standing in your own garden.

I can't remember what the website is either.

Practically speaking there some plants that you can't harvest without pulling up the roots. Bittercress I always end up the root, but it is a really common weed so there is no harm in it. Plants like burdock leave a destructive ditch so I rarely dig it up, but dandelion leaves enough earth that it just looks a bit disturbed, so some wild seed thrown sees it right. It is just common sense and some sensitivity.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Thanks Xylaria :)

My parents have loads of bluebells in their garden so I expect I had best leave them
well alone. I was expecting to see foxgloves on that list as I thought they were "don't
touch" too, though I'll leave them be anyway...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE