Deer bone firesteels.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I just knocked up a couple of deer bone handled firesteels that started out life as an old deer bone found by a loch side and two army sized import firesteels. I wanted to try a rugged look on one so broke the bone and sawed the other one too compare designs. I like the broken one as the handle is full hand sized unlike the usual thumb and forefinger grip. I am really quite pleased with them as I am usually quite rubbish when it comes to most crafty things but these look nice and function well.

Here is a picture, hope you like them.

image_zps99ed19e9.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
They are very nice and as with many I prefer the one on the right, it looks very rustic and has a very aesthetically pleasing design

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Thanks a lot I really appreciate it :). I agree with the masses, the right one is also my favourite!

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Hi, just lost mine a few weeks back and this is giving me some ideas for a replacement! I don't think I have seen many of these in bone? The one on the right is especially cool.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Hi, just lost mine a few weeks back and this is giving me some ideas for a replacement! I don't think I have seen many of these in bone? The one on the right is especially cool.

Yes they are usually in wood and sometimes antler. I thought bone would look nice and it seems people think it does. I hope you have a go at making one and it would be great to see some photos if you do :)!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
well I had a go at making another one with two magnesium inserts and an army sized ferrocium rod in a new deer bone handle.

here are some pictures:

image_zps57303704.jpg
[/IMG]

a little hollow at the top provides a nice space for tinder, I wedged a nice bit of chaga in!

image_zps39370959.jpg
[/IMG]

all three rods together:

image_zpsed67b142.jpg
[/IMG]

fits nicely in the hand:

image_zps13f52158.jpg
[/IMG]

I made the design a bit different with stubby rods and a nice long handle. I am pleased with them, hope you all like them!

thanks for looking!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE