Dead bird ID

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Not great photos. Found across a ditch under a tree in pheasant hunting territory.
f9ef69b53e44a28bcdf03f787dd72586.jpg

How do I know it was pheasant hunting territory?

700013ebd41dbd5b8633983736b274b3.jpg

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Pheasants are driven game in the uk, lines of standing guns (using shotguns) and the birds are driven towards them.

High seats are used for shooting deer etc with a rifle.

The hen pheasant was most likely killed by an animal or bird of prey rather than a human.

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
There were tons of shot gun cartridges around and loads of pheasants (about 3 dead ones too). There was a small coppice to left of the seat. No deer to be seen. 3 very large grey lag geese in a field though.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
There were tons of shot gun cartridges around and loads of pheasants (about 3 dead ones too). There was a small coppice to left of the seat. No deer to be seen. 3 very large grey lag geese in a field though.

The cartridges are most likely from rough shooting rather than driven game.

As for the seat I'd agree with Pentrekeeper that it's for deer

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Hmm, tons of cartridges, sounds like poor standards of game keeping, plastic cartridges don't rot down and so should not be left but collected and disposed of properly. If it's rough shooters they should know better and take their rubbish home with them, just plain lazy.

Also this time of year is breeding time, pheasants don't do too well in the wild, they fall prey to foxes and the like too easily, the eggs are sought out by magpies etc.

The hen birds lay one egg a day, until they have around 16 or 17 in the nest then they will sit on the nest and incubate them, they are very vulnerable to the predators.

it seems unusual to see loads of pheasants around at this time of year as the gamekeepers would have caught most of the hen birds up for breeding this years birds.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Rough shooting? Please translate.
Some days, we all go out for a bit of a shoot. I have an American Sporter2 clay machine which will throw doubles.
Even has an office chair welded to the frame for the operator.
Piles of hulls suggest some target shooting, I agree that they should have picked it all up.
We do. Couple boxes (135) of clays, a flat (10 x 25) of 12ga trap loads.
What surprises me is that we shoot clays with fluoro-orange tops. Within 6 months, even fragments are hard to find.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Rough shooting is generally walked up or worked dog flushed shooting as opposed to birds driven by beaters.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
unusual? I counted about 5 cock pheasants and about 20 hens split into 2 groups. The hens were all together, the cocks on the edges of both groups. The hens were all hidden in the undergrowth until they saw us. Then they exploded out. Great camouflage on the hens.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks BR. Beaters/Drivers just doesn't happen here. Got a lot of proper explanation right at the start of the grouse season one year in NYorks.
The doggie tactic is most popular for upland birds (pheasant/ sharptail grouse and so on) as well as for ducks over a wet-set of floating decoys.
Field shooting Canada Geese over a decoy set is fast and furious. They are 8-12kg birds coming in at maybe 30mph from a flying speed of 50mph.
Let the air out of a couple and you have incoming projectiles which can hurt you very badly.

Hen camo: I am so impressed how I can be fooled.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE