Dartmoor trip

Hi, a couple of mates & I are planning to wild camp on Dartmoor for a couple nights in Sep, if anyone can recommend any good spots that would be great, we've never been before, near a river would be preferred. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuscor

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2014
Bristol
Hi mate,

Have a look at this http://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/43909/vi-camping_map_309.pdf - if the link does not work, just google 'Dartmoor wild camping map'. This shows you were it is ok to camp.

It depends on how long you plan on going for, how far in you want to hike, and where you want to leave your car. For example, you can leave your car near Fenworthy reservoir, hike in through the forest and into the moor enough to cross the stone wall and into the wild camping zone. There is a great camping spot just over the wall by the North Teign River which my wife and I discovered last easter. It would not take you more than a few hours to walk in.

Alternatively, if you want to take a few days then start from Belstone in the North and walk in (can leave the car in Belstone village).

Please be careful, do some research (google is good!) - make sure you bring an OS map and compass and/or GPS as it is not hard to get lost, particularly if it gets foggy. Plan your route and let someone know where you are going and when you will be back so they can alert the authorities if you are late. Take the right gear depending on the weather, and make sure you leave the car somewhere safe and with no valuables visible. Bel stone would be safer than Fenworthy I reckon.

Sorry, I have no experience with the south downs if you are looking to go there.

T

Hi mate,

Have a look at this http://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/43909/vi-camping_map_309.pdf - if the link does not work, just google 'Dartmoor wild camping map'. This shows you were it is ok to camp.

It depends on how long you plan on going for, how far in you want to hike, and where you want to leave your car. For example, you can leave your car near Fenworthy reservoir, hike in through the forest and into the moor enough to cross the stone wall and into the wild camping zone. There is a great camping spot just over the wall by the North Teign River which my wife and I discovered last easter. It would not take you more than a few hours to walk in.

Alternatively, if you want to take a few days then start from Belstone in the North and walk in (can leave the car in Belstone village).

Please be careful, do some research (google is good!) - make sure you bring an OS map and compass and/or GPS as it is not hard to get lost, particularly if it gets foggy. Plan your route and let someone know where you are going and when you will be back so they can alert the authorities if you are late. Take the right gear depending on the weather, and make sure you leave the car somewhere safe and with no valuables visible. Bel stone would be safer than Fenworthy I reckon.

Sorry, I have no experience with the south downs if you are looking to go there.

T

Thanks a lot for the Reply, I don't suppose you can give me the coordinates of the spot you mentioned you found with your wife ?

Tuscor

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2014
Bristol
Hi Dan,

I'm at work, will try to remember to check my map and give you a grid reference when I get home; however my memory is pretty bad so I'm afraid I'll forget. Hopefully this link will work:

http://binged.it/1VKBdgn

The camping place is on the stream directly west of 'Little Varacombe' and a tiny bit north. Basically if you follow the line of the firing range down from Quintin Man's Cairn until you hit the stream, then follow the stream down towards the east about 50-100 yards, you'll come to a flat spot right on the bank (south side) that is slightly sheltered from the south west. There was plenty of room for our tent (a three man hilleberg) and space left over to relax on.

Tuscor

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2014
Bristol
The only potential downside of that camping spot is that it is a little close to a path (about 150 yds). We were there on a busy easter weekend, and we only saw 3 people on the path while we were camping there so its not too bad.

Another place, if you don't mind a bigger walk in is:

http://binged.it/1U3xngz - where Brim Brook meets West Okement River, just to the south west and down from Lindt Tor below Kneeset nose. The ground is fairly flat on the South side of the streams. Note that it could be a bit boggy if it rained a lot before you camped there, but I think it should be fine.

If that was a washout:

http://binged.it/1U3xqJd - we camped on the west side of the West Okement River, directly below Lindt Tor. Great spot, although you need to be careful how you place the tent to avoid the rushes! A longer narrow tent helped us find a flat spot.

There is a popular camping spot around half a km down the West Okement River called 'Sandy Ford'. It has a good flat spot to camp but it is right on a main walking track and is pretty popular. If you are looking to avoid other walkers I would not camp there (that is the reason we didn't)

Both these locations are about a 2-3 hour fast hike from Belstone. You walk in up over the Belstone Common, along the ridge then down along the Army roads to Dinger Tor (the roads make it quite an easy hike).

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE