Damp day in the woods

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
The two boys and i have a day up the woods today, we had planned on doing an overnighter yesterday into today, but for various reasons, it didn't happen, so a day trip it was.

We decided on this trip to have a small fire, A) because it's some time since we had one up here and B) it had been raining and it was good practice in wet/damp weather fire lighting.

So we started to prep our materials, i had split a load of hazel rounds with a small axe, whilst eldest then battoned some thinner kindling sticks down from the split wood and youngest stripped a load of birch bark down into a good pile

DSCN0777.jpg

DSCN0784.jpg

DSCN0785.jpg

Youngest's birch bark pile

DSCN0790.jpg

our split stick kindling, all held off the very damp ground by our grill (made from rebar and an old office chair)

DSCN0792.jpg

Youngest had the duty to build the initial fire lay

DSCN0794.jpg

and then to light it, no messing around with sparks and char cloth today, he used a match for a change.

DSCN0798.jpg

we soon had the makings of a sound fire

DSCN0800.jpg

Once the fire had been set, we set up a couple of hammocks, this is my DD Travel with a poncho liner under blanket that i wanted to test for fit & function, the blanket fits well, the hammock, i hate.

DSCN0802.jpg

eldest setting one of his hammocks, this is a lightweight single layer one we use as seat when out and about as it takes very little room and it weighs nothing

DSCN0840.jpg

youngest doing some whittling

DSCN0808.jpg

before we knew it, it was lunch time, eldest cooking his pasta in sauce thing on his Swedish Army mess set

DSCN0813.jpg

what was surprising is how green the woods are still, down by home a lot of the leaves are all yellow and/or have already dropped

DSCN0815.jpg

i went off and collected some hand drill materials, i found a lovely crowded Elder tree up here and i use it as my drill source as the stems tend to be fairly straight.

DSCN0827.jpg

youngest did a good job of keeping the fire going

DSCN0838.jpg

Eldest meantime, was just chilling out in his hammock

DSCN0845.jpg

a little time later we called it a day as the time was getting on and it was beginning to rain (again), if it had been earlier in the day we would have put a poncho shelter up, but as it was only 30 minutes or so before we had planned to leave, we called it day and headed back to a decent cup of tea.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Looks great!

Spending time with your boys is the biggest plus here, I think.
It's sure is weird seeing the greens. The only greens I see here are pines and such, the rest has shed their leaves already..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE