Custom G10 Griptilian Scales + tritium

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
These things had been in a state of partial completion for five years. Promised to a friend to go with a similarly coloured fixed blade and to match how he used to colour code his climbing gear.

G10 laminated to linen Micarta, polycarbonate back spacer, brass threaded stand-offs. All the worn looking black was polished off screw heads and the clip.

IMG_0696 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

IMG_0690 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

The back spacer needed to be clear for a reason :cool:
IMG_0699 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

IMG_0706 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Wow, very nice. You surely didn't mill the scales? If so, all praise to you. The trit is an excellent touch, I've always thought knife and torch manufacturers ought to incorporate a trit slot. If I go camping, holiday etc, I never take anything without a moonlight mode or tritium dangly attached. What's the point of a torch if you can't find it when you need it?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I quite like brightly coloured grips on tools, if its in use its in your hand and otherwise its either in your pocket or I want to know where it is.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Wow, very nice. You surely didn't mill the scales? If so, all praise to you. The trit is an excellent touch, I've always thought knife and torch manufacturers ought to incorporate a trit slot. If I go camping, holiday etc, I never take anything without a moonlight mode or tritium dangly attached. What's the point of a torch if you can't find it when you need it?
I agree...
The black torch market is still thriving though ?!!
Who 'd 've thought it...
😵

Beautiful little knife .

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I did mill the scales...so not as impressive as if I had hand filed all those flutes, although it might not have been any slower if I had!

I shouldn't start in on the pains of CNC router programming. Everyone thinks its just press and play. Oh how I wish it were so! The particular router I am borrowing is a bit flaky and typically I have only a 30% chance of a part being machined coming off the bed looking how it should, based on the CAD model that went in. Knock another 10% off for me screwing something up, like forgetting to double zero the X or Y axis, or not re-zeroing the Z axis after a tool change, or updating the model and forgetting to propagate the change to all of the programs, or having too much or too little engagement with the fixture mounting screws...

The biggest horror is that the machine regularly loses position up to 1mm, mostly though around 0.5mm. If it changes by more than 0.1 on some opps it is enough to screw up the part. Mostly its the Z axis that is the problem, so you get half way through and it suddenly decides to start cutting everything 0.5mm deeper than the rest.

And then there is the modelling and programming. A bigger black hole for sucking up time than on-line gaming! This is handle version 12 and I am on version 2 of my fixture...and it still isn't all right.

I keep wanting to shoot a video of making a set of scales, but I haven't ever managed to do it without something screwing up. Actually, this set would have been the 20% that came out "right" but they still didn't line up when assembled, and required a further eight hours of hand fettling and fitting after them coming off the router.

I have heard that the US authorities don't like people using tritium for frivolous uses, so its is okay for gun sights, but stuff for finding gear and locating knives, not so much. A friend managed to acquire two little vials some years ago and this is the second one. I was saving it for my own knife, but my buddy has more need than I do.

Cheers guys.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE