CRKT Edgie review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Recently picked up this interesting little EDC and I must say I'm quite impressed. The edgie from Colombia river knife and tool.

I'm sure we're all familiar with CRKT as a brand, and most of us will at some point have owned or used one. This is my first EDC legal by CRKT. The knife comes packaged in their standard and very exciting cardboard packaging packed with a mini catalogue
cadfeaccf36b6ecc9ecb6b74e2ceb8d7.jpg
f1a742841940a4a9b3e2d82aa46b3e0e.jpg

First impressions are good, exactly what you expect when opening a brand new toy. At 109g in weight it feels good in the hand and folds down to a perfect pocket size
eaa6394647782bccddba2197493d727d.jpg

I was surprised to see the pocket clip, while removable, cannot be switched to the other scale. Very much intended for right handed use, although on handling the pocket clip is not obtrusive when you're holding it and actually fits quite comfortably in either hand. And is both thin enough to fit unnoticed in a jeans pocket and thick enough to fill The hand out, really nicely designed. The handle itself is zytel, a kind of fiber reinforced nylon, it's chequering really helps with wet and dry grip too. So far so good.
A knife is no good if it isn't sharp, and the edgie is SHARP out of the box, easily rivaling any spyderco, even rivaling my straight razor! The sharpness is in part owing to the unusual grinds.
56f9af541fc6b1e0139d4b77aff3a595.jpg
73830f57b53673029e889ac06e51af9c.jpg

It's dual hollow grinds have a secondary cutting bevel on only one side, almost like a chisel grind, I'm not even sure what it would technically be called but I certainly like it! It push cuts paper with ease, and in fact does the same to leather!
ac8797ebf556c24eef2bfa8e46a7faaf.jpg

The 73mm sheepsfoot/wharncliffe blade is made of 3mm 420J2 stainless, with a quoted HRC of 53-54. Traditionally I would have said a terrible steel for blades and won't hold an edge. The clever thing about the edgie is it doesn't have to. The knife is self sharpening, a 400g diamond file is set into the handle meaning every time you open and close the blade the edge is sharpened again. I was dubious at first but it's kept its razor edge and if you feel it running dull while whittling a stick just open and close a few times and you're good to go!
6724c8cc30c607c1e530307308b1db78.jpg

The slipjoint action is what it is, it's a slipjoint, meaning the knife if used improperly can close up on you.
93faefed343564a5f8651e57855deab8.jpg

But used properly it's no more unsafe than any other knife. The spydie hole, or crkt equivalent thereof, is very sharp and has a bit of a "stamped out" feel to it, but it does work well and with practice you can get it open one handed easily. The scale is also shaped with a slight rebate near the hole to guide your thumb into it, nice touch.
Overall it sits well in the hand, with an overall length of 178mm when open it doesn't feel too small to use like some EDC knives
7c92b5f7974a0ff047675f4933999a27.jpg

The blade when extended also doesn't rattle in the handle like some slipjoints, even if the fit and finish looks like it may do, not perfect but passable.
525830497e9cf556c52d5f3755b591a5.jpg
3f21f87e94249c79ffc17ad63d97b7d0.jpg

All in all i'd say it's a capable little none locker. I definitely like it and would recommend one. Its found its way into my pocket every day and that's where it's staying. And for a price ranging from £13<24 it's well worth the punt. Sharp enough to shave with, cheap enough to not worry about and robust enough to graft for years. What's not to like?

There's also a locking variant for the USA EDC market, or anywhere people can carry a locker. Don't think I'll bother with one but only because I have lockers and fixed blades I already like. I'm sure it'll be a good little knife too.

Last edited:
Reactions: gra_farmer

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Good review thanks. Must say when I first saw it on HH I though it a bit of a gimmick, but surprised to hear it works well. Maybe I'll pick one up.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Good review thanks. Must say when I first saw it on HH I though it a bit of a gimmick, but surprised to hear it works well. Maybe I'll pick one up.
Works really well if I'm honest. Doesn't seem to grind away too much of the blade either. My only major gripe is the rough opening hole being sharp. Don't suppose a rub down with some wet and dry could hurt

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
What a great review; thanks for taking the time to do it. goodjob

Looks a very capable little knife indeed and as you say, at that price what's not to like?
Thanks Dave. Don't mind writing little reviews on anything unusual or if I think it's good enough to warrant the attention of others and I think this is both. Especially as that price

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Had the knife now for about 18 months, liked it so much bought another (can't have to many knives). What I have noticed, well with my first one, the more you use it the better the edge. The self sharpening bar on the inside has dimonds encrusted on it, this with time wears and as such get a smoother finish to the blades edge.

A sweet little knife, has very little weight to it so light in the pocket or on a belt.

best price is HH.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Had the knife now for about 18 months, liked it so much bought another (can't have to many knives). What I have noticed, well with my first one, the more you use it the better the edge. The self sharpening bar on the inside has dimonds encrusted on it, this with time wears and as such get a smoother finish to the blades edge.

A sweet little knife, has very little weight to it so light in the pocket or on a belt.

best price is HH.
Well there you go if it gets even better I'll be more than happy! I wonder how long the self sharpening action will last.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Can't fault the thing, use my daily and the best thing is the price. The joint is easy to tighten up and a drop of oil keeps it slick.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Can't fault the thing, use my daily and the best thing is the price. The joint is easy to tighten up and a drop of oil keeps it slick.
Aye I considered tightening the joint. Its by no means loose and won't rattle open but I prefer stiffer slipjoints

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If you damaged the edge (chipped or folded) do you think it would be possible to grind it back a bit so that the self-sharpener worked?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
If you damaged the edge (chipped or folded) do you think it would be possible to grind it back a bit so that the self-sharpener worked?
Actually id wager it would. Even if you where to go slightly bigger angle on the bevel the self sharpener would with some effort cut its own profile giving you a weird compound bevel. But they do come with a warranty according to the crkt website. Being made of traditionally inferior quality steel though it's unlikely to chip because it's soft. Usually a bad thing but as I explained if it's self sharpening I don't think edge retention is an issue with it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE