Cordage

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would really like to learn how to make cordage, but I have absolutely no idea where to begin. Do you guys know of any texts? Or can any of you point me in the right direction???

Cheers,

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Buckley8219 said:
Hi,

I would really like to learn how to make cordage, but I have absolutely no idea where to begin. Do you guys know of any texts? Or can any of you point me in the right direction???

Cheers,

move your mouse pointer to the top of the page and click on "Articles" ;)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The thing about cordage is that someone can show you how to do it in just a few minutes. However, if there is no one about to show you, a good video is hard to beat.

Fire and Cordage by John and Geri McPherson is an excellent video for this.

Fire and Cordage

I'm currently working on some basswood cordage. Very nice material to work with.

basswoodcordage1b.jpg

However, you don't need any material terribly exotic to get started. Some regular household string is good to use for a start. However, the tricky part is adding in strands. For that it helps to have some good instruction.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
A good way to start is to take apart some natural(hemp?) string, the brown hairy stuff, as well as giving you materials to practice making with you will learn how it goes together. Natural cordage is a two stage process, making the fibres(nettle or whatever) and then making the cordage from the fibres. Using the string gives you a bit of practice of the second stage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE