Cooking Vessel for use with Honey Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Can anyone recommend a good cooking vessel for use with the Honey Stove? Not really sure what I want but I guess it will mostly be for boiling water.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Any container that holds water and can be put over a fire is suitable for use on a honey stove.

I personally use a 12cm zebra billy can with mine but I've also used a variety of different billies as well

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
OK. Thanks guys. But really I've asked the question to try and answer another question.

I am putting together survival kits for the kids. The items I've bought and still need to buy aren't exactly small and I'm trying to think of something to hold the stuff.....a tobacco tin is much too small. I was going to simply use one of these lock and lock plastic containers which can be bought in a variety of sizes, are waterproof and easy for small hands to undo. However, I thought it might be useful if the container could also be used as a cooking vessel. I have a Honey Stove, hence my question.

So, really, I'm after a recommendation for a survival kit container which is fairly big (think old style billy can big) but has a lid which makes a waterproof seal but is also easy for a 6 year old to remove. Maybe the lock and lock is the best solution and I simply get them a crusader mug (or something) to stick in the their bags.

They already have good backpacks.

Last edited:

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Yes, that's the sort of thing. They're fairly heavy (for a 6 yr old) @ 300g and it is far from clear whether they offer a waterproof seal. Maybe wouldn't doesn't matter if the stuff inside the tin are kept within a plastic bag?

The other option might be this http://www.amazon.co.uk/BCB-CN550-Mini-Mess-Aluminium/dp/B000N4L34K/ref=pd_cp_sg_0. Lighter than the crusader mess tin and waterproof. Not sure how easy they will be to undo though. I think SIGG do something similar but for a lot more money.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Heavy yeah n not waterproof but defo a quality usable price of kit none the less n like you say you could always put a zip lock bag inside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE