cooking utensils

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
hi,
whilst cooking a bannock recently, I realised that although I had easy access to water etc to clean my knife, on longer expeditions this may not be a commodity (ie desert environment).

As a solution I made a sort of 'disposable' wooden knife that could be burnt up after eating - no cleaning, no mess, no fuss. Obviously you could make it more permenant like the beautiful spoons people here seem to conjure up.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to make the whole knife fork spoon set, but the picks below should offer some inspiration.

Pine was used for speed of carving

P8080005Small.jpg

At this stage it will work fine, but I couldn't resist a bit of embelishment.

P8080007Small.jpg

time for a lanyard hole. I had been carrying a SAK for years and only moderately recently worked out the purpose of the gizmo shown below

P8080010Small.jpg

The finished article - sanded and olive oiled for a longer life

P8080011Small.jpg

And add the all important para cord

P8080017Small.jpg

It actually cuts suprisingly well and I suppose one could add serations to cut bread etc.

And at the end of the day, it was good fun to make too!

Have fun
woodwalker

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
That's cool. I've seen all sorts of non-metal tools used by various people and cultures, bone knives being pretty common. I'll try to collate all the info and article-ise it over the next few weeks.
Don't forget the chop-sticks though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE