Cooking Cray's on fire

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I want to try and cook some cdayfish on an open fire like RM did on wild food.

I cant remember the technique he used to dispatched them does anyone know, I have tried to find the clip from Youtube but no luck. I suppose i could plunge them in to boiling water for a few minutes beforehand and then finsih off on the fire. Also what wood did he use for the skewer? I was just going to us very thin bits of hazel and then sharpening to a point.

I have heard they are even more tasy when cooked on a fire!

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This is how you can despatch them in the sea

- Grab body tightly; grab tail tightly; twist both hands suddenly in opposite directions and pull. One tail with the body meat in the tail holding hand.

Nowadays it is an offence to be found with just tails

Personally, I always felt this must be agonising and where there was time on land, I would insert a knife blade one segment back from where the tail joined the body. This severed the cord.

The most humane method I believe is to place them in the fridge till they freeze or near freeze if you don't want the meat texture impaired

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A knife straight through the abdomen area then chuck them in a pan of boiling water for about 5 minutes.

Once they`re cooked take them out and let them cool for a bit, take the middle tail section and pull it left until it clicks, then right until it clicks. Then you can pull this out along with all the guts and poo.

enjoy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE