Conservation, Education and Volunteering

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, Bushcraft UK.

My goal in life, my ultimate pursuit, is to be a conservationist.

As of the 7th of February I'll be a proud member of my local Countryside Ranger Service. My first task will be to plant trees.

I've just been reading about conservation and watching some videos on natural sciences such as biology and zoology, and then it hit me that I don't actually have any education that could help me get a job as a conservationist. I've been asking around on several forums and everyone who responds agrees that voluntary work is the way to go. I agree with them entirely, but I'm feeling a lot of regret because I stopped learning Biology in my very first year of High School, over 7 years ago now. People say that as well as volunteering I should also be studying conservation biology or environmental science at university or college, but how can I get into such a course if I have almost no education in biology from its basic level? I mean, I'm interested in it - I'm passionate about a lot of things - but that doesn't cut it. I need a degree. How would I proceed? Any advice?

I've been speaking to the Countryside Officer and he reccomended Newbattle Abbey College which hosts a Rural Skills NC course. It looks promising.

Is there anyone in a similar situation or has been through something similar?

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I recently emigrated from Scotland. I studied at the Scottish Agricultural College in Aberdeen and got a degree in countryside management. I think that's the route you want to go it's a big bonus for jobs, not only the peice of paper itself but the people and organisations you meet along to way are all good contacts for work. From 4 years of study i have volunteered and worked all up and down the west coast of scotland, central around perth and fife, and a little up the east coast doing various things like fencing, path building, tree planting, tree felling, habitat resotration for species, surveys both conservational and geological etc

feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Hamish

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I recently emigrated from Scotland. I studied at the Scottish Agricultural College in Aberdeen and got a degree in countryside management. I think that's the route you want to go it's a big bonus for jobs, not only the peice of paper itself but the people and organisations you meet along to way are all good contacts for work. From 4 years of study i have volunteered and worked all up and down the west coast of scotland, central around perth and fife, and a little up the east coast doing various things like fencing, path building, tree planting, tree felling, habitat resotration for species, surveys both conservational and geological etc

feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Hamish

That does indeed sound like the path I want to take. Would the Scottish Agricultural College be Oatridge College, or are you talking about another college? Unfortunately, Aberdeen is a little far for me: I live in Tranent, East Lothian. Maybe some day, my friend. Maybe some day.

Maybe this Newbattle Abbey College Rural Skills course could be a gateway into a higher level course. It's NC level and teaches things like Forestry. http://www.newbattleabbeycollege.ac.uk/?page_id=312

ganstey

Settler
I'm following a similar path to you, but I'm heading towards environmental education. I'm currently about 1/3rd of the way towards a BSc (hons) Environmental Science with the OU. As with all adult education these days, it does cost. But depending upon your financial situation you may be able to get a grant to cover your tuition fees (The OU are paying all my tuition fees for my next course). You will need to find time to put in the study hours though, and don't underestimate the time needed.

I've been volunteering at Westonbirt Arboretum for nearly 5 years now. Not only does it give me great satisfaction, but my colleagues are always willing to give advice and help where they can. I wouldn't be on my current path had it not been for the voluntary work I did there. Also, because I've got to know people there whilst volunteering, I've been able to get odd bits of paid work as well, which helps with the finances as well as enabling me to demonstrate my skills, knowledge and commitment.

Don't be put off applying for jobs just because it says that a degree is essential. The last job I applied for (before starting my studies) said that a relevant degree was essential. I got to the final shortlist of three. OK, so I didn't get the job, but the person that did had a closer experience match to the job than I did. I spoke to the head of the interview panel afterwards, and he said that for anyone not just out of university, life experiences and a clear passion for the job was more important than qualifications.

Feel free to ask any questions, or PM me if you prefer.
Good luck
Graham

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
That does indeed sound like the path I want to take. Would the Scottish Agricultural College be Oatridge College, or are you talking about another college? Unfortunately, Aberdeen is a little far for me: I live in Tranent, East Lothian. Maybe some day, my friend. Maybe some day.

Maybe this Newbattle Abbey College Rural Skills course could be a gateway into a higher level course. It's NC level and teaches things like Forestry. http://www.newbattleabbeycollege.ac.uk/?page_id=312

They have three campus'. Aberdeen, Ayr, and Edinburgh if that helps. That other course looks okay it is a start to build up to something higher. I agree about not worrying about having a degree afterall it's an absolute fortune to study a degree. You can get very far volunteering and doing this and that wherever you can

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
If you fancy south of the border try Myerscough, I attended there for 3 years.... then again after training as a Gamekeeper I ended up in IT so I don't know if that's exactly a ringing endorsement :p

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
To be honest mate you really need to be looking at degree level qualifications now a days to get a ranger or similar job. Even the seasonal ranger staff we employ are expected to be graduates. Volunteering is essential to get experience almost expected, but competition is intense for jobs. Over 150 people applied for the last post I was in. Work is getting harder to come by with the cut backs. The last ranger service I worked for had a 50% cut in staff!

There are HND courses which are very good but I've seen people with degrees get positions easier. That's not to say not having a degree is a bad thing if you have amazing experience good qualifications and can come across well.

I'm not trying to put you off in anyway, and if working in conservation is something you really want then by gods go for it. It's a amazing job. I love it and have worked my way to a senior ranger level managing a team of rangers and can't imagine doing anything else. Well ok I'd like a little less office time and I ain't going to get rich but I want to go to work and when I get home I feel good about what I do.

Orric

greensurfingbear

Just re read what I wrote and sounds kinda negative! I'm really not trying to put you off honest :)

One of the rangers I used to work with used to be a nurse. He quit nursing started volunteering and did countryside management at Kirkley Hall college in Northumberland so it is possible to get a job without a degree. Although he did apply for the job I got as his boss and I was told the difference was I was a graduate and he wasn't. Was kinda odd as he was 12 years older than me and people assumed he was in charge.

Not all jobs are the same I guess depends what kind of conservation job you want. I'm looking at it from a position of working as a ranger. looking at folks application forms I tend to see lots of graduates. But id take someone with a HND and experience over a graduate with no experience any day.

Orric

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
All of your points have been taken on board and I appreciate the time you've all taken to respond. Unfortunately, the Newbattle Abbey Rural Skills course starts in September. I expected that to be the case. My plan of action right now is to attend the volunteer sessions once a month, hopefully more once they know I'm reliable, and get myself an unrelated job until September. That gives me plenty to do for now.

greensurfingbear

All of your points have been taken on board and I appreciate the time you've all taken to respond. Unfortunately, the Newbattle Abbey Rural Skills course starts in September. I expected that to be the case. My plan of action right now is to attend the volunteer sessions once a month, hopefully more once they know I'm reliable, and get myself an unrelated job until September. That gives me plenty to do for now.

If your not working or in education now see if you can get funding for courses like chainsaw cert or similar. Always worth a shot :)

Orric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE