Conifers - Calling all Tree Surgeons & Plant Gurus

Had an interesting chat about conifers recently. As I am a landscaper, the person I was talking to asked me a question he thought I could answer. In honesty, I couldn't, so wonder if there is anyone on here who would know.

For ID purposes (looking at the branches or nodes) he said he got taught a little phrase that could help identify conifers. It went something like:

Pines = Pairs
Spruce = Singular
Cypress = Clumps/clusters
Larch = Lots (or looses-can't quite remember)

Can anyone confirm this potentially rather useful way of ID-ing conifers?

Cheers.......hc

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Its mostly correct but falls down a bit on pines. The most common European ones are 2 needles to a sheath but you can get 5 needled varieties such as Pinus Parviflora the Japanese white pine.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Not heard the one about cypresses, i'm pretty sure they're scale-leaved, not really clumps or clusters. True Cedars are in clumps and clusters...

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Not heard the one about cypresses, i'm pretty sure they're scale-leaved, not really clumps or clusters. True Cedars are in clumps and clusters...

Aye thats true, recon its cedar not cypress in the id on post one.

Rest is about right, but there are other coniferous trees such as Firs, and redwoods. There all diferent though and some folks just go on the smell of the needles when crushed each one smells of a different fruit, mainly citrus ones.

Spruce and firs get mixed up. Spruce (xmas tree) will have a heal of wood attached to the end of the needle when pulled away from the twig, firs dont, and the needles on a spruce are all the way around the twig (entire), and firs are flatter and mainly on the sides.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
thats a rough guide i supose.

pines usually come in twos but can also come in threes and fives and even the very unusual single lead nut pine;)

spruces are singular as are firs, duglas firs, coast and dawn readwoods, swamp cypress and hemlocks

to the untrained eye cypresses, false cypresses and cedars (thuja) all look the same but are not related. these have scale like leaves.

true cedars (cedarus) have needles in bunches like larches but larches are decoiduous.

and to complicate thing even more there is another type of cedar!:D japanese cedar (Cryptomeria) and has cross between scale leaves and needles, as does giant readwood

learn to recognise cones too and you will be able to define many conifers!:)

pete

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
thats a rough guide i supose.

pines usually come in twos but can also come in threes and fives and even the very unusual single lead nut pine;)

spruces are singular as are firs, duglas firs, coast and dawn readwoods, swamp cypress and hemlocks

to the untrained eye cypresses, false cypresses and cedars (thuja) all look the same but are not related. these have scale like leaves.

true cedars (cedarus) have needles in bunches like larches but larches are decoiduous.

and to complicate thing even more there is another type of cedar!:D japanese cedar (Cryptomeria) and has cross between scale leaves and needles, as does giant readwood

learn to recognise cones too and you will be able to define many conifers!:)

pete

and i have to listen to this kind of thing all the time :p

just kidding pete your very helpful :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE