Compass problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Here's one I haven't seen before:

I have 2 Suunto RA-69s. I've had them for some years... One of them is fine, but on the other, the liquid in the capsule has turned blue/green and cloudy, making the thing all but unusable. There is no apparent damage to the capsule.

Has anyone else come across this before? And knows what has caused it?

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
I think I might give them a prod. I don't think they make the RA69 any more, however. The blue/green looks less like an algal bloom in colour and more like a copper salt - but I can't see any evidence of copper or brass inside the capsule.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Sounds like corrosion to me. I think that the bearing might be brass actually.

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
We have a suunto at my TA troop and thats gone green/blue

When I saw it I stupidly thought it was some sort of special type that glowed in the dark

I was wrong :oops:

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Now I'm using a *spit* MS browser, I can use the Suunto page. Funnily enough, this was in the FAQ, typos and all:

Question
What is the reason for liquide inside the compass to become colored?

Answer
In 1980 manufactured compasses Suunto used a certain metall in needle hubs which smelted partly to the liquide. This caused liquide to become colored. This does not affect to the accuracy of your compass.

Might not affect the accuracy, but I can't read the ruddy thing!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE