Compass and Map DVD's or Book recommendations for beginners?

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
The free leaflet from OS is a good place to start. IIRC it's available for free download from their website along with a "junior" version.

Sent from my  iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Map reading instructions can easily been found on the net even on You Tube for free. Some are better than others. +1 to the stuff from the OS.

I am a map reading instructor in the army and often do some navigation stuff at meets if people want it.

One of the best tips I can give you that often is not mentioned is to learn your paces. The easiest way to do this is to use street lights or known 100m gaps in a 30mph area lights are often only 50m apart. Try counting the strike of only one foot either your right or your left and between the distances that is how far you walk in 100m multiply it or use pace beads or counters to mark every 100m then you should not walk to many extra miles or kilometres :) It also comes in handy if later you learn Naismiths rule which will help planning your trips. Keep it simple in the beginning.

I shall start writing an article when I get some time :) hopefully to put some bug bears to bed. Navigation is an important skill but if an officer can be taught anyone can :) (although most of use still do not trust an officer with a map if we can help it. I normally do the check navigation to make sure)

Last edited:

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Plenty out there to choose from; as said start with the free OS downloadable pdf's and their online tutorial. The best way to learn is by doing, do you know anyone who could help as opposed to a on the hill workshop? If you have an MR team or lowland rescue nearby then try and bribe some help offering a donation?? Unfortunately, nav and map/ compass work is one of those skills that fade without regular practice...

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There are some OS vids on youtube with Simon King which are easy to understand, they cover the basics and will get you going, you just need to practice and you'll soon nail it

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've applied for a introductory navigation course to get me started but I'll also be looking into the links/vids/books mentioned here :)

To be perfectly honest I will still prefer to use GPS/Mapping over compass but obviously Compass/Map is a very much needed skill and I will want/need it as a backup in case the S.H.T.F and I lose/break my device etc. I don't really get out for long walks but it was my new years resolution to get back into shape and get out more in the hills :)

Last edited:

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Just be carefull of the GPS as a direct route could take you right over a cliff following a direct route in bad visability. like following a blind bide piper to your death.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A quick tip regarding the books: check out your public library before you buy them. If you like any of them, you'll probably want to but your own copy, but at least you'll know before you spend the money.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Just be carefull of the GPS as a direct route could take you right over a cliff following a direct route in bad visability. like following a blind bide piper to your death.

Thanks but I wont be just using the GPS that tell you directions/distance etc, I will be using ones that have full upto date OS mapping so I'm just as likely/unlikely to fall over a cliff with paper map as I am with digital ;)

I'll be going up to Horton-In-Ribblesdale/pennine way soon for a trek out so one to keep an eye out for will be Hull pot beck. Bloody death trap judging from pictures lol.

A quick tip regarding the books: check out your public library before you buy them. If you like any of them, you'll probably want to but your own copy, but at least you'll know before you spend the money.

Thnx for tip :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE