Commercial meths stove available from UK company

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've been thinking that I need a narrow flame meths stove (UL of course) that is small enough to use in a honey stove (preferably fours sided format). I have the can stove that came with the AGG cookset, WBS and a trangia clone burner (without the o ring seal which I burnt by using the cap to put it out). I also have a nordisk exbit stove but that would not work.

Anyway, I need (sorry want) something new as I am thinking of using my honey stove more. However I can only think of the evernew Ti burner (too expensive IMHO), vargo triad (poor reviews IIRC) and vargo decagon (reasonable burner but the base is too wide and it is a wide burner too). The Whitebox Stove is also a wide burner too that doesn't work in the honey stove (four sided format). Any ideas??

I do have a minibull designs solo stove. It is a kind of brush attached to an alloy (machined) base with a silicone tube attached to a nipple on the base with the other end attached to a small reservoir bottle. This bottle is quite small and really only gives the same burn time as the WBS stove I think but can take a larger bottle. It has no support so the honey could work I suppose with it. Anyone used something similar??

Anyone got an idea? I am useless at making can stoves so that is kind of out too. I know you can put the jets on can stoves as inwards pointing.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Summary: -

light
cheapish
small enough for a honey stove in four sided mode
inwards or narrow jet pattern so it can be used as above and with narrower/taller pots
Available from a UK manufacturer / retailer (online or physical shop ideally in North west)

Any ideas??

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How are you struggling with the pop can stoves? I'd say something similar to Tinny's Mini Atomic would work nicely. I've made a few which have worked well, that was just from following the advice on Zens' site. The penny stove or the one I prefer with three pin holes in the centre are both dead easy to make.

If you're struggling I'll send you a couple to try*

P1000146P.jpg

3 centre fill holes just visible
P1000149P.jpg

Inward facing jets, WBS clone, Outward facing jets
P1000150P.jpg

*I'm only a hobby maker so use at your own risk :)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
If you want something similar to your minibull design small burner which uses all of the same kit, you can get his M4 online - his shipping charges are very low to the UK although the burner itself is not cheap. However, it burns much much hotter than his smaller one and with a narrow flame. I've used it on my SAT kit and inside my Emberlit, and it works great, yet is very light. Uses a carbon felt wick.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Your (Rich) whitebox type stove burns straight up also IIRC (minus the pot that is)... Great stove!

Vargo triad (poor reviews IIRC) and terrible burn times (well, mine was, sent back)

Vargo decagon. Not bad but side jets/wide bloom. Very wide footprint (something to consider)

Evenew Ti. Once you get past the price, its a flamethrower on the double jets. It really is well made any actually worth the cost (once you've got over that)

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Rich - I made one last year. I saw a few vids including a good one made by hispanic american (with annoying kid taking the mick of his Dad). However I forgot what I'd seen as it was a few weeks after that I'd poured the obnoxious coke down the sink to get the cans.

After a few plasters and 20 minutes I made one. Looked good apart from a gap where the bits press fitted together. Took apart then re-fitted better. Jets burnt weaker on one side where a flame appeared at the seam between the can parts. I have a vid for it but don't know how to post it on here.

I also have a vid for the MBD wick stove burning too. I've never used it because I've not got a good pot stand for it. I need a tube of weld mesh I think. Or three Ti pegs but I'd rather something made for it I think. Perhaps it would fit in the honey in four piece set up. Think I need to try it sometime.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Do you want your stove to have a remote feed or a stand alone unit? Pressurized penny type stove or a wick stove?

You can make a stove out of any small metal container, just put some carbon felt or another wicking material in there and you will have a nice flame that will go straight up.

Did you see my post on the shotgun shell brass stove I made, as small a stove that you would want to make and only 5 grams in weight? Just make your version as big as you want, find a metal container the right size, the bigger it is more heat it will produce.

The remote feed is a nice feature as you don't have to take your pot off and extinguish the stove for any refills if cooking for longer times. 2 nipples and 2 feet of micro line is $5 add a bit of carbon felt for $10 (enough for ~10 stoves) and shipping at $5 from MBD will get you going. Not sure where to get the metal mesh for the pot stand though. I have used a bird feeder cage in the past.

Steve.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Rich - I made one last year. I saw a few vids including a good one made by hispanic american (with annoying kid taking the mick of his Dad). However I forgot what I'd seen as it was a few weeks after that I'd poured the obnoxious coke down the sink to get the cans.

After a few plasters and 20 minutes I made one. Looked good apart from a gap where the bits press fitted together. Took apart then re-fitted better. Jets burnt weaker on one side where a flame appeared at the seam between the can parts. I have a vid for it but don't know how to post it on here.

I also have a vid for the MBD wick stove burning too. I've never used it because I've not got a good pot stand for it. I need a tube of weld mesh I think. Or three Ti pegs but I'd rather something made for it I think. Perhaps it would fit in the honey in four piece set up. Think I need to try it sometime.

If you want me to make you one let me know, I've got the hardware cloth for the stands too

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well, yes. I've got a few stove / cooking system ideas I need to try out. One involves honey stove in 4 sided with meths burner back-up. Other needs a light pot stand for my MBD thing. That is really tiny burner. Won't be a fast boil but supposed to be efficient. Think it is kind of a pre-cursor to the choke hazard Tinny does.

Hardware Cloth? What's that? Is that the square, wire mesh thing like you can get from MBD?? That is what I'm thinking I need but don't really fancy going to USA to get a pot stand out of it from Tinny (mini bull designs owner to those who don't know, but of an innovator in the home-made stove sector over in US).

Do you have any spare that I could perhaps relieve you of in exchange for a paypal money transfer (as a gift of course)?? Is it stiff enough to take a pot with up to just under a litre at the most?? Think I might have a couple of stoves that a pot stand might be good for.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The stuff I've got is galvanised steel, with 1cm grid.

PM me your addy with the size you need and I'll get some in the post

This stuff ...
DSC02366.jpg

DSC02362.jpg

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
The cheapest I have found wire mesh on ebay for anyone interested is this... 170764063550

Although the mesh has a zinc coating it should not do any harm if used outdoors and burns off after a few burns anyway.

Steve.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Shewie - what is the tin lid for?? Is it something to put out the stove or a lightweight pot lid or something else?? Nice kit. Do you use a primer tray with your can stoves??

I am definitely looking for a large can for a windshield and plan to use the can stove more. I have just seen the way forward and it is your can and wire mesh based system. It looks just sooo neat.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The lid is for priming mate, I saw one in the box for the recycle bin and thought I'd try it, works a treat. With the enclosed burner rather than a penny stove it needs priming before it takes.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
ive not tested it yet as im out of meths but ive just knocked this up in the garage from a narrow alu bottle. same as a pop can stove but a fair bit stronger. about the same diameter as a redbull can. not sure how much meths it will take but the bottle pictued is a 30ml bottle. have a feeling ive put too many vents in as well but will test it tomorrow on 500ml of water. if its any good ill put some kevlar wick in it, JB weld it and post it to you to play with.

e66c4e49.jpg

Cheers
Paul

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Shewie - Are your can stoves are made with a tube made from the middle of a can inside two bases so that it fits and is held by the inside of the rims. Then burning jets (12 in total) around the inside of the rim with three holes in the middle to feed the stove with? Am I correct in this?? The tube obviously has cutouts to allow the centrally fed stove to allow meths to the outside space and the jets. Or am I missing something here as I only have a basic idea of stove making. I made the one with the outside jets and an open centre so it is made differently.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Shewie - Are your can stoves are made with a tube made from the middle of a can inside two bases so that it fits and is held by the inside of the rims. Then burning jets (12 in total) around the inside of the rim with three holes in the middle to feed the stove with? Am I correct in this?? The tube obviously has cutouts to allow the centrally fed stove to allow meths to the outside space and the jets. Or am I missing something here as I only have a basic idea of stove making. I made the one with the outside jets and an open centre so it is made differently.

With the little ones in the pic there's no middle tube, you only need those on the side burners. The fuel is evaporated up the side wall and ignites at the jets, with the little ones it's just the fuel burning inside the chamber. Just two can bottoms cut to the desired height and pressed together, like this (before the rivet gun part)

The three centre holes are for filling, some folk make a larger hole and use a penny or rivnut to seal it up again, I've done these but they don't work any better.

I discovered Pepsi cans are a smidge smaller than regular cans so slide together nicely without the need for crimping or dilating :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE