Collins GEM Food For Free

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I've got this and I find it useful, certainly worth having. I wouldn't rely on it in anger, but for rambles it is a very easily portable guide, and Mabey certainly seems to know his stuff.

Chris

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Good for a quick guide, not used it in a outdoors sense ie camping out yet, but it's knowledge.

Handy to have like a few of the Gem's versions.

Nat

Sep 27, 2007
essex
Not bad, but remember its not an ID guide. The old version of the book is better but no one book holds info on all of our edible and or useful plants. It's somthing I have studied since I was knee high, a very interesting subject indeed.

Best wishes
Kris

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
The author is at least very clear on the fact that it should not be your sole ID guide, which is refreshing. Personally I like the book and find it useful and well written. The most important aspect might be that this edition is a perfect pocket size, so there's no excuse for leaving it at home (there are at least two other versions of the title in print, both larger formats and worth a look).

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
i think its an excellent book. small and concise, its not the definitive guide but is very useful and good value!

Craig B

Sep 13, 2007
I think it's a great book.I dont know about anyone else but in all my time outdoors I've always strived to learn at least one new thing on my trips. Have a few trips and you'll certainly start to be able to id the foods in here and take it from there.

Great buy for a fiver I'd say.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE