Coleman single mantle lantern Help!

I bought one of those coleman single mantel dual fuel lanterns on the special deal from the shop here on BCUK (great deal folks thanks!it arrived in no time at all!).

the problem is thus, after following the instructions religously, I cannot get the lantern to light at all. I don't seem to be able to build enough pressure up using the pump, certainly it's impossible to do the reccomended 30 initial strokes...I can maybe do ten, before it being impossible to lock the pump. Any ideas? I'm at a loss here at this end.

WS

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm

Interesting...I have a dual mantle Coleman so I guess the controls are similar. The usual process is

1) Ensure the on off switch is turned to "off"
2) Twist the pump anti clockwise and pull out,
3) Cover hole with thumb and then pump until the pump becomes very stiff.
4) On the inbound stroke, keep your thumb over the hole and twst the knurled pump until it locks.
5) Turn switch to "on" and light with a match. You may get orange sooty flame briefly whilst the lamp warms up (if outdoors in the cold - I wouldn't use one indoors).

If it can't be pumped any more it seems you are getting pressure okay. Have you tried releasing pressure from the filler cap (by unscrewing it)?

Is the fuel tank too full? This will cause not enough space to build pressure - if its over full, try half emptying it and try again.

Is the mantle okay?

Is the fuel outlet blocked? You should hear it when you turn it on.

Don't know if that helps?

Red

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Before I say anything!!

Never do anything the instruction manual says not to!!

I've never used the lantern but I do use the sportster duel fuel stove and pumping wise they should be pretty much the same.

First things first, make sure you haven't over filled the fuel tank (there has to be some air in there to be compressed) so you mite try taking some of the fuel out.
Secondly when you pull the pump out, turn the knob on it's end 1 turn anti clockwise and try pumping again making sure you cover the hole in its middle with your thumb.
Now, I wouldn't be too worried about being able to manage 30 full pumps but you should be able to manage 15-20 and close the pump off by turning the pump knob 1 turn clockwise after that you should be able to get enough pressure to shove fuel thru the system at start the generator heating the fuel and then repeat the pumping process to increase pressure.

Have you already been pumping successfully?!? if so you may already have pressure but there could be a problem in the plumbing?!?

Hope its of help and if anyone disagrees please jump in.

Kev.

AAh Red beat me to it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
After you have pumped the tank, you open the valve and you hear a hissing. Don't try and light this now, the sound is air, not fuel from the tank. Listen for a hissing and spitting sound, this indicates fuel is now escaping and the lantern is ready to light.

NEVER LIGHT THESE INDOORS, AND TREAT THE LANTERN WITH RESPECT

Hmmm

Interesting...I have a dual mantle Coleman so I guess the controls are similar. The usual process is

1) Ensure the on off switch is turned to "off"
2) Twist the pump anti clockwise and pull out,
3) Cover hole with thumb and then pump until the pump becomes very stiff.
4) On the inbound stroke, keep your thumb over the hole and twst the knurled pump until it locks.
5) Turn switch to "on" and light with a match. You may get orange sooty flame briefly whilst the lamp warms up (if outdoors in the cold - I wouldn't use one indoors).

If it can't be pumped any more it seems you are getting pressure okay. Have you tried releasing pressure from the filler cap (by unscrewing it)?

Is the fuel tank too full? This will cause not enough space to build pressure - if its over full, try half emptying it and try again.

Is the mantle okay?

Is the fuel outlet blocked? You should hear it when you turn it on.

Don't know if that helps?

Red

Ok...I've tried again this morning to no avail...

1/ fuel switch appears to work
2/ The pump...well on closer inspection, it's not locking clockwise however it LOCKS anticlockwise :eek: oppsite from what the manual states.
3/ and 4/I still cannot pump it and lock it properly so this appears to be the problem.
5/I've emptied the fuel and only 1/4 filled it and it still does not work
6/ no the mantel does not light at all, there's no hissing noise either

Any more advice before I send it back?:(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Could be reverse thread on that one - try pumping up and then locking the piston in on what ever way it does lock ????. I would leave the on/off valve set to "off" pump up and lock the piston in place. You must be getting pressure for it to get stiff. then turn on in a quiet place and listen for the spluttery hiss. If you aren't getting that it sounds like a block in the mantle line - which isn't going to be easy to fix (nor should you have to on a new one)

Would some picture of me pumping and lighting mine help?

Red

Could be reverse thread on that one - try pumping up and then locking the piston in on what ever way it does lock ????. I would leave the on/off valve set to "off" pump up and lock the piston in place. You must be getting pressure for it to get stiff. then turn on in a quiet place and listen for the spluttery hiss. If you aren't getting that it sounds like a block in the mantle line - which isn't going to be easy to fix (nor should you have to on a new one)

Would some picture of me pumping and lighting mine help?

Red

Hi Red,

ok, I've tried pumping up and locking and I can hear it building pressure up (in a similar way to my whisperlite stove), I then turned the fuel to on and listened and there is no hissing or any sound (I took the globe off to get my ear relatively close to this) but to no avail. Nothing.

I'll send it back for a replacement. :(

Thanks for everyones advice. :You_Rock_

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad it all worked out for you - theya re a solid bit of kit and mine has bever let me down!

red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE