coleman multifuel....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Both very good, but not really multifuel, whilst you can burn car petrol, the additives in the fuel will clog up the stoves/lanterns quicker than a clean fuel such as panel wipe or Aspen 4T.

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
well I have had the lantern for 5 years or so and only ever use unleaded and I have never had a problem with blockages, glass gets a bit sooty but that's it.

garethw

Settler
Hi ther
Not used the Coleman lantern but have had Sporsters and Double burner for fishing for the best part of 20 years. Always run on unleaded 98 no problems... If you pump the up so they burn hot you'll find the soot burns off. So I'd guess the lantern would be just as good.
cheers
Gareth

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
well I have had the lantern for 5 years or so and only ever use unleaded and I have never had a problem with blockages, glass gets a bit sooty but that's it.

Hi ther
Not used the Coleman lantern but have had Sporsters and Double burner for fishing for the best part of 20 years. Always run on unleaded 98 no problems... If you pump the up so they burn hot you'll find the soot burns off. So I'd guess the lantern would be just as good.
cheers
Gareth

The thinking behind this is that most Automotive Unleaded has a lot of additives in it from anti knock agents to detergents.. In an engine these present no issues.. In a stove / lantern they can cause issues... I ran a Coleman 'Peak 1' on unleaded and had the generator tube clog up after about 12 months.. Since reverting to Shellite ( white gas or coleman fuel) 3 years ago the stove is still running on the same generator with no issues... I have a nice 200A lantern which was only really designed for white gas and it gets only shellite and just runs and runs.

HTH

John

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
As Richard says, very good but use the right fuel as much as possible. It's a bit disingenuous of Coleman to call them multi-fuel, I think a multi-fuel burner should at least burn fuels as heavy as paraffin, as light as petrol and anything between. I have both Coleman stoves and lamps, they all work fine but their construction is a little on the lightweight side compared with, say, Optimus or Primus. The possibility of noxious fumes from using road fuel hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread, so I'll just mention it. Use outdoors ONLY if you use road fuels. Several other threads have covered these issues.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i've been using a peak1 for about 8 years now, using almost excusively coleman fuel with a very occasional top up with "normal" petrol and on one occasion some swan lighter fluid. i've never had any problem at all with it, i don't think it's ever been cleaned apart from maybe a rub over with an oily rag, and it's had plenty of use/abuse. personally i think that the coleman stoves are superb and wouldn't hesitate to recomend them.

stuart

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As Richard says, very good but use the right fuel as much as possible. It's a bit disingenuous of Coleman to call them multi-fuel, I think a multi-fuel burner should at least burn fuels as heavy as paraffin, as light as petrol and anything between...

There used to be a German made lantern that would burn almost any petroleum based fuel: petrol, paraffin, avgas, diesel, etc. It was quite expensive though and I never see it cataloged over here any more.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
[QUOTE...The possibility of noxious fumes from using road fuel hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread, so I'll just mention it. Use outdoors ONLY if you use road fuels. Several other threads have covered these issues.[/QUOTE]

Actually any stove or lantern should be used only outdoors or in a very well ventilated area. Even if the fumes aren't noxious remember that the combustion consumes oxygen and oxygen depletion is as almost dangerous as inhaling noxious fumes. I say almost because if you get fresh air recovery is more likely.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Richard is right about using unleaded. Having said that, I have used unleaded and on SOME had the generator clog, whilst others have been fine.
I would always use aspen/coleman etc if pos, but would use unleaded occationally (out doors of course). I have used coleman indoors with ventilation(there were/are parraffin stoves for use indoors).
Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE